Similar to locate object, this spell could find a creature familiar to the caster within a radius of at least 560 ft (170 m) —the range increased with the experience level of the caster but would not cross running water. Locate creature could also find a creature by race or species (such as an elf or an umber hulk) as long as the caster had previously met or at least seen one from a distance of 30 ft (9.1 m) or less. This spell could not locate objects and could be fooled by mislead, nondetection, and polymorph spells.
The material component for this spell was a tuft of fur from a bloodhound. The spell also had a verbal component and part of the somatic component was to turn slowly around in a circle until the desired creature was sensed.
- James Wyatt, Jeremy Crawford (November 2018). Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica. Edited by Jeremy Crawford, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 25–26. ISBN 978-0-7869-6659-2.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–209, 256. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 249. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 181. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 29. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- Sam Witt (January 1994). The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. (TSR, Inc), p. 125. ISBN 978-1560768289.
- Curtis Scott (1992). The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook. Edited by Barbara G. Young. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 107–108. ISBN 1-56076-347-7.
- Walter Roberts (October 1993). “The Living City: The Ravens Bluff Diviner's Guild”. In Jean Rabe ed. Polyhedron #88 (TSR, Inc.), p. 16.