Lupinals looked half-man, half-wolf, with a wolf-like face, silver-grey fur, and legs on a humanoid body. Although they could be mistaken for werewolves, lupinals were considerably more intelligent and poised.
Like most guardinals, lupinals were normally peaceful but ferocious when in a fight. They were constantly vigilant against evil incursions, and they were typically suspicious of strangers as well. Lupinals had a variety of spell-like abilities, were very good at stealth (which they used to ambush enemies), and used pack tactics to great effect while fighting.
- Ed Bonny, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter (September 2002). Monster Manual II 3rd edition. (TSR, Inc), pp. 42–44. ISBN 07-8692-873-5.
- Richard Baker (October 1995). Monstrous Compendium Planescape Appendix II. Edited by Karen S. Boomgarden. (TSR, Inc.), p. 48. ISBN 0-7869-0173-X.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 158. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), pp. 145–147. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 13. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.