Known chiefly as the mage who owned the Dragon Tower in the 14th century DR, Maaril possessed the Dragonstaff of Ahghairon, a powerful magic item that allowed any dragon who touched it to avoid the negative effects of Waterdeep's dragonward. As owner of the Dragonstaff, Maaril was able to control which dragons entered Waterdeep, a power he used to his advantage.
Maaril was fostered at the House of Wonder when it was a temple of Mystra. Once he became powerful enough, he summoned a demon to kill his mentor and framed a rival apprentice for the murder. He stole the Dragonstaff from his master and took over her tower. In 1374 DR, he was among the many powerful mages Arunsun brought together in order to restore the High Mages of the lost city of Miyeritaar and cleanse that part of the High Moor. He lived in Waterdeep as an eccentric mage until he disappeared after the Spellplague. Just before disappearing Maaril entrusted the custody of the Staff to the gold dragon Aurinax.
Maaril was handsome with dark eyes and liked to wear dark green or purple robes. He had a pointy black beard.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Erin Evans (February 2010). The God Catcher. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0-7869-5486-5.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 32. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 43. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ Steven E. Schend (July 2006). Blackstaff. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786940165.
- ↑ Christopher Perkins, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Adam Lee, Matthew Sernett (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by Jeremy Crawford. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 194. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.