Magic vestment, and an older version called magical vestment, were transmutation or enchantment spells respectively, that improved the armor value of clothing, a shield, or a suit of armor.
Though similar in effect, the two versions of this spell were different in practice. The transmutation version could be cast on anyone's clothing, armor, or a shield as long as the caster could touch the targeted vestment. The enchantment version only worked on the caster. The transmutation version lasted for hours while the enchantment version lasted for only 25 to 100 minutes or so. However, the improvement in armor was better in most cases for the enchantment version.
Starting with plain clothes or robes, the enchantment version immediately granted protection equivalent to chain mail and increased up to field plate armor as the level of the caster increased. For the transmutation version, the lowest level improvement was equivalent to donning padded armor and increased up to chain mail as the level of the caster increased. However, the enchantment version was not cumulative with existing armor, so magical vestment was only worth casting if the result was better than what the caster was already wearing, whereas magic vestment improved any existing armor or shield.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 251. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 63, 64. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 87, 89. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- Hal Maclean (May 2007). “Seven Saintly Domains”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #355 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 26.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 28, 211. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 39, 269. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 154. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 188. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Gary Gygax, David Cook, and François Marcela-Froideval (1985). Oriental Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 63. ISBN 0-8803-8099-3.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 211. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 269. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.