They were not native to the Prime Material Plane, as they were somewhat linked to various elemental or quasi-elemental planes of existence. Mephits were roughly humanoid in appearance and somewhat small – approximately 4 feet (1.2 meters) in height.
Their disposition depended on their plane of origin, though they were rarely endearing. Each type of mephit had some form of breath weapon, which could usually do minor elemental damage, though it was mostly intended to ward off would-be attackers.
Mephits' combat abilities greatly varied from one type to another, but their most basic attacks consisted of clawing and biting. For example, an earth mephit could soften earth and stone, whilst a fire mephit could heat metal. In order to aid each other in combat, mephits could summon other mephits. Following this, they may have attacked in a swarm of multiple mephits. Such creatures could regenerate quickly.
- Soldiers of Ice • Star of Cursrah • The Glass Prison
- Computer games
- Descent to Undermountain • Icewind Dale • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal • Neverwinter Nights • Icewind Dale II • Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear • Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford
- Cook, Monte. Monstrous Compendium. TSR. (1998)
- Cook, Monte and Conners, William W.. The Inner Planes. TSR. (1998)
- Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes, Bruce R. Cordell and JD Wiker (March 2005). Sandstorm. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3655-X.
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual. TSR. (1977)
- Stewart, Doug. Monstrous Manual. TSR. (1994)
- Williams, Skip, Tweet, Jonathan, and Cook, Monte. Monster Manual. Wizards of the Coast. (2000)
- Turnbull, Don. Fiend Folio. TSR. (1981)
- Varney, Allen. Monstrous Compendium Planescape Appendix. (1994)
- Williams, Skip. Monstrous Compendium Fiend Folio Appendix. TSR. (1992)
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the following links do not necessarily represent the views of the editors of this wiki, nor does any lore presented necessarily adhere to established canon.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 215–217. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet and Monte Cook (October 2000). Monster Manual 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 133–134. ISBN 0-7869-1552-1.
- Kirk Botulla, Shane Hensley, Nicky Rea, Teeuwynn Woodruff (1994). Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III: Creatures of Darkness. Edited by William W. Connors. (TSR, Inc.), p. 8. ISBN 1-56076-914-9.