After the Year of Wild Magic, 1372 DR, on casting the meteor swarm spell, four meteors each some 2 feet (0.6 meters) wide were launched from the caster's hand. They flew in straight lines to their targets, leaving trails of fiery sparks behind them. The target could be a location or a creature, and more than one meteor could be launched at a target. If the meteor hit, the target was pelted by the stone and could not resist the explosion. But even if the meteor missed, it exploded close in their vicinity. In either case, the meteor exploded like a fireball, producing flames over a 80-foot-wide (24-meter-wide) area. It had a range of over 400 feet (120 meters).
The spell required only somatic and verbal components. The caster was required to stretch out their hand to launch the meteors.
During the Time of Troubles in the Year of Shadows, 1358 DR, outside the House of the Moon temple in Waterdeep, the avatar of Shar hurled a meteor swarm of six meteors at Naneatha Suaril, high priestess of Selûne, to punish and kill her for turning against her. However, Naneatha somehow diverted the spell, but not before both were knocked unconscious by the blasts of meteors.
- A number of sources misprint the name as meteor storm.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 23, 28. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 209, 211, 259. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 169. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 253. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 195. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 183. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 153. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), p. 121. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 153. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- Dan Mishkin (September 1990). “Total Eclipse”. In Elliot S. Maggin ed. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #22 (DC Comics), pp. 8–9.