The Methmere was a lake found in the frontier between Chessenta and Unther. After the Spellplague of 1385 DR and until the Second Sundering of the 1480s DR, when the nation of Unther was returned to Toril, the lake was also part of the dragonborn nation of Tymanther.
Geography[edit | edit source]
The Methmere was near the southwestern edge of the Riders to the Sky. It was long and narrow, was composed of freshwater and had a winding coastline. The Winding River flowed into it, and the River of Metals flowed from the Methmere into the Alamber Sea.
The Methmere had a few volcanoes under its waters. By the late years of the 15th century DR, those volcanoes were active and the temperatures in the northern shore made the waters release clouds of steam that covered the peaks of the Riders to the Sky.
Fauna[edit | edit source]
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Before the Spellplague of 1385 DR, the shores of the Methmere were inhabited by bandits and fishermen from both Unther and Chessenta, who lived in small and isolated settlements. There were at least twelve registered fishing vessels and bandits had trained a few plesiosaurs to raid the lake's waters.
However, after the Spellplague destroyed the Untheran region, the shores of the Methmere became home to a tribe of scrags, who also trained the plesiosaurs as mounts and took control of the region by driving away the other inhabitants.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Scott Bennie (February 1990). Old Empires. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 41. ISBN 978-0880388214.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 187. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Edited by Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 187. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 13–14. ISBN 978-0786965809.
- Brian R. James (May 2010). “Backdrop: Chessenta”. In Chris Youngs ed. Dungeon #178 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 73.
- Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, Robert J. Schwalb (September 2008). Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 86. ISBN 978-0-7869-4929-8.