Monstrous centipedes were venomous, subterranean arthropods of giant size.
Monstrous centipedes were adept at climbing nearly any surface with their many legs.
When attacking, a monstrous centipede would rush towards its prey and use its jaws. When it bit, it injected a sort of poison that reduced a prey's mobility. This poison was weak though and not liable to be fatal.
On the surface they were known to infest the fens, moors, and deciduous forests of the Moonshae Isles. They were also known to infest the Vast Swamp between Cormyr and Sembia, the forests of Cormanthor, and the sewers of Waterdeep.
They were known to frequently be found in the steppes of the Hordelands, as well as its forests Ama Basin, Hagga Shan, and Shalhoond. They were also a common occurrence in its deserts, the Raurin and Quoya.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 323. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Template:Cite dungeon/221/Lowdown in Highport
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 286–287. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 42. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 14. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Halina Adamski (March 1989). “The Living City: Skully's Bar and Bait”. In Jean Rabe ed. Polyhedron #46 (TSR, Inc.), p. 16.
- Douglas Niles (November 1987). Moonshae. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 17–18. ISBN 0-88038-494-8.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “Explorer's Manual”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 21. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- Ed Greenwood (March 1993). “Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor”. In Newton H. Ewell ed. The Ruins of Myth Drannor (TSR, Inc.), p. 10. ISBN 1-5607-6569-0.
- Ed Greenwood (1987). Waterdeep and the North. (TSR, Inc), p. 27. ISBN 0-88038-490-5.
- David Cook (1990). The Horde (Volume II). (TSR, Inc), pp. 114, 122–123, 125. ISBN 978-0880388689.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 287. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.