Negative plane protection was an abjuration, or abjuration/necromancy for the arcane version, spell that gave the recipient one chance to completely avoid the draining effects of a negative energy attack. This spell could not be cast on the Negative Energy plane.
The caster had to touch the recipient in order to cast this spell. The duration of this spell lasted for minutes to a couple hours or until the target was hit by an attack form using negative energy. This spell opened a channel to the Positive Energy plane and thus gave the recipient a chance to overcome the loss of strength or life experience due to the energy draining effects of creatures and spells that channeled negative energy. If successful, the protected creature was only subject to the physical damage of such an attack, and the attacker was blasted with positive energy in return. If unsuccessful, the target suffered double the physical damage as well as any draining effects from the negative energy attack.
The arcane version of this spell was developed by the tiefling Grand Vizar of Calimshan, known as Shangalar the Black before he achieved lichdom. It was originally described in his personal spellbook.
- Ed Greenwood (December 1990). “Arcane Lore: Pages From the Mages, Part VI”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #164 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 59–63.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 28, 212. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 39, 269. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), pp. 153, 154. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), pp. 187, 188. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Ed Greenwood, Tim Beach (1995). Pages from the Mages. (TSR, Inc), p. 19. ISBN 0-7869-0183-7.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 212. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 269. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.