A nightwalker was a type of nightshade, a sentient undead monster from the Plane of Shadow. It was unnatural and malicious, and it took delight in the corruption and suffering of others. It was a creature of both death and shadows and had enormous powers over darkness.
Nightwalkers were the shades of extremely strong-willed and evil mortals whose ancient and unyielding will and malice allowed them to hold their corporeal shape. A nightwalker's body looked as if it was made of shadow-stuff, with a vaguely humanoid form. They were about the size of a house, but were usually no taller than 20 ft (6,100 mm), and their bodies were smooth and hairless.
Nightwalkers were capable of transforming humans they killed into bodaks through use of an arcane ritual that warped the void energies of the Shadowfell. This ritual would not work on any other plane.
- Mardava, a former Imaskari artificer from the Jorhat Citadel.
- Malthraxis, an ancient nightwalker covered in strange arcane sigils containing powerful necromantic secrets. Unlike other nightwalkers, Malthraxis has a thick cloak of smoky tendrils composed of the souls it has consumed.
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (May 29, 2018). Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 216. ISBN 978-0786966240.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 197. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 196–197. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- John Nephew, John Terra, Skip Williams, Teeuwynn Woodruff (1994). Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 83–84. ISBN 1-56076-875-4.
- Richard Baker, Ed Bonny, Travis Stout (February 2005). Lost Empires of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 64–65. ISBN 0-7869-3654-1.
- Lee, A., & Dunbar, M. (2021, April 23). Dragon+ 37: Malthraxis. Retrieved April 23, 2021 from https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/dragon/37/DRA37_Malthraxis.pdf