Generally, regular octopuses were not dangerous unless provoked, and in this case, would usually try to escape. Many evolved the ability to blend into their environment. They could not only change the color of their skin, but also use muscle action to change its texture to appear more like whatever they were blending against. If they were pursued by predators, octopuses were capable of expelling a cloud of ink before swimming away. Some octopuses were venomous, capable of producing a paralytic neurotoxin.
- Blue ring octopus
- Inherently good creatures that dwelt in the oceans of the Underdark, trying to avoid the more powerful races with which they shared territory.
- Giant octopus
- Unlike regular octopuses, they were aggressively territorial and could have tentacles up to 10 ft (3 m) long.
- A blind, bell-shaped octopus with the ability to change color.
They made their homes along the bottom of the sea, particularly within coral reefs. Octopuses were quite intelligent as mollusks went and were capable of complex tactics in their pursuit of food.Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue sold dried up octopus tentacles for 4 gp a piece.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 276. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 333. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Wolfgang Baur (March 1996). “The Dragon's Bestiary: Monsters of the Underdark”. In Pierce Watters ed. Dragon #227 (TSR, Inc.), p. 30.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 277. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Gregory D. Detwiler (November 1996). “The Dragon's Bestiary: Monsters of the Lower Deep”. In Pierce Watters ed. Dragon #235 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 44–45.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend et al (1992). Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. (TSR, Inc), p. 37. ISBN 0-5607-6327-2.
- ↑ Map included in Richard Baker (1992). Rock of Bral. (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 1-56076-345-0.