The Order of the Aster, also known as the Soldiers of Light, was a militant order that served Lathander the Morninglord in the 14th century DR. They took particular interest in thwarting the clergies of several malevolent deities such as Bane, Shar and Talos.
Membership[edit | edit source]
The order was loosely organized and comprised crusaders, fighters, and paladins dedicated to Lathander. The paladins often trained in other discipline and served as divine champions, disciples, hierophants, and even counted some members among Purple Dragon knights of Cormyr.
While members were not required to pay a fee upon entrance into the order, they did make a solemn vow to a standing Morninglord. The order's barracks were located one block from the main cathedral in Waterdeep and held 80 templars. The organization had a monthly due of 50 gp to be paid once per month.
Dogma[edit | edit source]
Activities[edit | edit source]
Members usually defended Lathanderite shrines and temples commanded large military forces levied by the church of Lathander when required. Individual shrines and temples of Lathander typically did not maintain significant defensive forces of their own, owing to the cost, so they instead usually retained the Order's services to guard their holy sites, in appropriate numbers.
When not thus engaged, the holy warriors of the order wandered the realms promoting the faith of Lathander and doing good deeds in his name. Many spent their time defending individual Lathanderite temples or served within the City Guard of Waterdeep.
Relations[edit | edit source]
Lathander's paladins stood as some of the most beloved heroes of the Realms, and the Order of the Aster was no exception.
Notable Members[edit | edit source]
- High Dawnknight Tlinthar Regheriad
- Dawnknight Alaura Cartier
- Dawnknight Haurier Brightshadow
- Caelar Argent
- Jandar Ilbaereth
- Corinna Lathankin
- Donnor Kerth
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Video games
References[edit | edit source]
- Julia Martin, Eric L. Boyd (March 1996). Faiths & Avatars. (TSR, Inc), p. 91. ISBN 978-0786903849.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 26. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 40. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 8. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.