Osiris (pronounced: /oʊˈsaɪrɪs/ oh-SY-ris) was a member of the Mulhorandi pantheon. He was god of the dead and death itself, meting out justice in the afterlife. He was also a god of plant life, especially as it related to the harvest of food. He was known as Osirant in Thay, and by the name Ozrikotep in Unther.
AvatarEditOsiris typically appeared in one of two primary forms. The first was that of a Mulan warrior with green skin, dressed in robes and bearing the crown of a king of Mulhorand. The second form was that of a royal mummy.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Grinning skull
- A skull appeared in tombs to warn away intruders.
- Man of night
- A single man appeared and began reaping the fields before disappearing, to signal the time of the harvest.
- Fierce winds led an individual to the site intended for his tomb.
Church of OsirisEditThe position of priest in the church of Osiris was usually hereditary; members typically belonged to the House of Osriant, and could claim at least one divine incarnation of Osiris among their ancestors.
Priests of Osiris spent much of their time traveling Mulhorand and settling disputes. They left serious court matters to the clergy of Horus-Re. They also presided over burial procedures, and served as guardians of the Land of the Dead.
The principle temples of the church of Osiris were the Crypt of Shadows located in Jhalhoran and the Gateway to the Afterworld, which was located in Mishtan. Many crypts in Mulhorand also contained shrines dedicated to the Judge of the Dead.
Active worship of Osiris was small, though all in Mulhorand respected his teachings.
Priests of Osiris usually wore linen skirts and sandals. They shaved their heads and usually wore a headdress. They painted a series of three concentric blue circles on their forehead, a symbol of their priestly calling.
When equipping for battle, clergy of the church of Osiris favored the highest quality armor, weapons, and other equipment available, but avoided excessively displaying their wealth.
Divine spellcasters of Osiris prayed for spells at dusk.
- Order of the Risen Scepter
- Drawn exclusively from those who died in combat with servants of Set and subsequently raised from the dead (perhaps spontaneously by the power of Osiris), they were primarily paladins and rangers that did nothing but hunt minions of Set. They were casual about dying because they were granted the power to return from death unaided if killed by Set's minions in an unjust or dishonorable way.
- Brotherhood of Those Who Smile in the Face of Death
- This order of paladins served as the militant branch of the church of Osiris.
- Guardians of Skuld
- Formed after the Time of Troubles and led by the church of Anhur, this organization counted followers of Anhur, Osiris, and Isis among its members.
Celebrations and FestivalsEdit
The clergy of Osiris presided over burial proceedings in Mulhorand.
- Passing of Eternal Contentment and Justice
- A ceremony performed during the burial of the dead. The ceremony varied depending on the status of the deceased. Commoners received the rite of Low Passing, nobles got the rite of Middle Passing, and members of the royal family received the rite of High Passing.
- The clergy of Osiris spent the day renewing the defensive measures protecting crypts in Mulhorand.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 120. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 60–62, 299. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, Robert J. Schwalb, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, Matt Sernett (November 2017). Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 19–20. ISBN 978-0-7869-6612-7.
- ↑ Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 84. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 146. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Hal Maclean (September 2004). “Seven Deadly Domains”. In Matthew Sernett ed. Dragon #323 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 65.
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 121. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 114. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 145. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 12. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ 11.00 11.01 11.02 11.03 11.04 11.05 11.06 11.07 11.08 11.09 11.10 Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 122. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds (Nov. 2005). Champions of Valor. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 103. ISBN 0-7869-3697-5.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 110. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
Akadi | Amaunator | Asmodeus | Auril | Azuth | Bane | Beshaba | Bhaal | Chauntea | Cyric | Deneir | Eldath | Gond | Grumbar | Gwaeron | Helm | Hoar | Ilmater | Istishia | Jergal | Kelemvor | Kossuth | Lathander | Leira | Lliira | Loviatar | Malar | Mask | Mielikki | Milil | Myrkul | Mystra | Oghma | Red Knight | Savras | Selûne | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talona | Talos | Tempus | Torm | Tymora | Tyr | Umberlee | Valkur | Waukeen
Abbathor | Berronar Truesilver | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Deep Duerra | Dugmaren Brightmantle | Dumathoin | Gorm Gulthyn | Haela Brightaxe | Laduguer | Marthammor Duin | Moradin | Sharindlar | Vergadain
Aerdrie Faenya | Angharradh | Corellon | Deep Sashelas | Erevan | Fenmarel Mestarine | Hanali Celanil | Labelas Enoreth | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Shevarash | Solonor Thelandira
The Dark Seldarine
Eilistraee | Kiaransalee | Lolth | Selvetarm | Vhaeraun
Arvoreen | Brandobaris | Cyrrollalee | Sheela Peryroyl | Urogalan | Yondalla
Lords of the Golden Hills
Baervan Wildwanderer | Baravar Cloakshadow | Callarduran Smoothhands | Flandal Steelskin | Gaerdal Ironhand | Garl Glittergold | Nebelun | Segojan Earthcaller | Urdlen
Bahgtru | Gruumsh | Ilneval | Luthic | Shargaas | Yurtrus
Anhur | Bast | Geb | Hathor | Horus | Isis | Nephthys | Osiris | Re | Sebek | Set | Thoth
Other gods of Faerûn
Bahamut | Enlil | Finder Wyvernspur | Ghaunadaur | Gilgeam | Lurue | Moander | Nobanion | Raven Queen | Tiamat
Greater Gods of Faerûn
Amaunator | Asmodeus | Bane | Chauntea | Corellon | Cyric | Ghaunadaur | Gruumsh | Kelemvor | Lolth | Moradin | Oghma | Selûne | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Tempus | Torm
Gods of Faerûn
Angharradh | Auril | Bahamut | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Garl Glittergold | Gond | Ilmater | Loviatar | Luthic | Malar | Mielikki | Sheela Peryroyl | Sseth | Talona | Tiamat | Tymora | Umberlee | Waukeen | Zehir
Exarchs of Faerûn
Abbathor | Arvoreen | Baervan Wildwanderer | Bahgtru | Baravar Cloakshadow | Brandobaris | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Sashelas | Dugmaren Brightmantle | Erevan Ilesere | Fenmarel Mestarine | Fzoul Chembryl | Garagos | Hoar | Hruggek | Jergal | Labelas Enoreth | Lliira | Maglubiyet | Malar | Marthammor Duin | Milil | Obould | Red Knight | Sharess | Shargaas | Shevarash | Shiallia | Siamorphe | Solonor Thelandira | Thard Harr | Uthgar | Valkur | Vaprak | Vergadain
Greater Deities of Faerûn
Angharradh | Bane | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Cyric | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Kelemvor | Lathander | Moradin | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla
Intermediate Deities of Faerûn
Abbathor | Arvoreen | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | |Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain
Major Deities of Faerûn
Angharradh | Bane | Bhaal | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Lathander | Moradin | Myrkul | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla
Other Deities of Faerûn
Auppenser | Abbathor | Arvoreen | Auril | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain