This spell produced a mount that only be ridden by the caster or one other selected individual. It was quasi-real, horse-like creature with a black coat, gray mane and tail, and hooves the color of smoke, which were insubstantial and soundless, and it wore a saddle, bit, and bridle.
Phantom steed would not engage in battle, but all normal animals shunned them and would not attack them. A phantom steed would disappear if it sustained a killing blow.
As casters increased in might, so too did their phantom steeds. The speed, robustness, and amount of weight they could bear depended on the relative skill of the caster. Initially, they had no extra abilities, but later they could travel over difficult surfaces such as mud, sand, and swamp without hindrance; walk atop water as water walk; ride through the air with air walk; and eventually even fly outright.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 23, 27. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 210, 265. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (August 2000). Player's Handbook 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 235. ISBN 0-7869-1551-4.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 182, 193, 260–261. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (March 2006). Power of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 72. ISBN 0-7869-3910-9.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 152. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 184. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- ↑ slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), p. 121. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.