A phase spider was a magical beast akin to a predacious version of the ethereal filcher. Phase spiders were monstrous arachnid-kin that dwelt within the Ethereal Plane. They made quick forays into the natural world to snatch an unlucky creature to feed upon. Those stolen by phase spiders were never seen again and were regarded as unsolved disappearances.
The phase spider resembled a giant, two-eyed, spindly-legged spider with the same dark green and white coloration of an ethereal filcher (though it was a bit more blue than green).
While the filcher transported between the Ethereal Plane and the Material Plane for the purpose of stealing, the phase spider did this for the purpose of hunting. It looked for a likely spot in the Ethereal Plane, and then teleported (its form of teleportation was known as "phasing," hence the name) to the Material Plane, presumably ambushing travelers it expected to be there, biting and killing them, and then quickly retreating back to the Ethereal Plane.
In the Year of Lightning Storms, 1374 DR, a small group of drow arachnomancers took over one of ancient Illefarn ruins, interestingly enough, located in the deep jungles of Samarach of the Chultan Peninsula. Even though their goal remained a mystery, they brought a pack of phase spiders with them and kept the deadly creatures in the top levels of the ruined structure.
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
- Dungeon #45, "An Artist's Errand" • Dungeon #128, "The Fireplace Level" • Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
- Video Games
- Curse of the Azure Bonds • Baldur's Gate • Icewind Dale • Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster • Neverwinter Nights • Neverwinter Nights 2 • Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir • Neverwinter • Neverwinter: Fury of the Feywild • Baldur's Gate III
- Card Games
- Dragonfire (Shadows Over Dragonspear Castle)
- Phase Spider article at the Baldur's Gate Wiki, a wiki for the Baldur's Gate games.
- Phase spider article at the NWNWiki, a wiki for the Neverwinter Nights games.
- Phase spider article at the NWN2Wiki, a wiki for the Neverwinter Nights 2 games.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 334. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Rob Heinsoo, Stephen Schubert (May 19, 2009). Monster Manual 2 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 190. ISBN 0786995101.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–208. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 326. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 90. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Obsidian Entertainment (November 2008). Designed by Tony Evans. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. Atari.
Magical spiders: Bloodsilk • Electric • Glass • Gaze • Goblin • Pet of Kalistes • Spellgaunt • Steeder
Planar spiders: Demonweb terror • Fire • Myrlochar • Phase • Shadow • Tomb • Vortex
Constructs: Arachnar • Bone spider • Jade spider • Retriever • Spiderwalker • Stone spider
Outsiders: Bebilith • Darkweaver • Greelox • Inferno spider • Red widow • Yochlol
Creations of Lolth: Abyssal widow • Chwidencha • Drider (Vampire) • Shunned
Humanoids: Aranea • Chitine • Choldrith • Ettercap • Werespider
Miscellaneous: Kitthix • Neogi • Rhylfang • Susurrus
Undead spiders: Wraith spider