Potato, also known as batata, was a type of tuber vegetable found in the Realms.
Just look at the size o' these potatoes! Mashed, baked, or tossed in a stew, you'll love 'em!
Places in the Realms where potatoes were known to be produced included:
- In northeast Faerûn's Unapproachable East region, they were common in the Great Dale and known there as "brownfists".
- In northwest Faerûn, they were cultivated in Goldenfields and Nightstone.
- In the Dalelands, these vegetables were cultivated by farmers in the Battledale, Mistledale, and High Dale regions.
- In Cormyr, potatoes were known to be grown around Ghars.
- The Moonsea region had potato cultivation in the village of Elmwood.
- In the Moonshae Isles, potatoes was grown on the island of Snowdown.
- In west Faerûn, they were cultivated in Tethyrian village of Lerren, as well as in the Arnaden region near areas with water.
- On the Malatran Plateau, where they were cultivated by the Simbara tribe.
- In the land of Maztica.
The only limit to a potato recipe is the cook's imagination.
- Farothai, a unique Thymari dish, was often stuffed with potatoes.
- The rations sold by Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue often featured potatos.
- Arrabaran morningfeast included sauced scrambled eggs, hand-shredded bread, and baked fish, stuffed with potatoes and sausages.
Notable Users of Potatoes
- It was quite common for inns of average quality in the Realms to serve potatoes, alongside other vegetables, in pottage as the second part of a four-course meal. More rural or impoverished establishments would often serve diced and spiced potatoes alongside sausages.
- Waukeen's Rest inn in the Western Heartlands served potato porridge, potato wedges fried in pork fat, and creamy potato mash sprinkled with black pepper and nutmeg.
Races & Sentient Creatures
- The planet Garden was said to resemble the roots of a young potato freshly extracted from its soil.
- Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend et al (1992). Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. (TSR, Inc), p. 133. ISBN 0-5607-6327-2.
- Larian Studios (October 2020). Designed by Swen Vincke, et al. Baldur's Gate III. Larian Studios.
- Ossian Studios (June 2018). Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford. Beamdog.
- Ed Greenwood (March 2013). “Eye on the Realms: Abyssal Trade Goods: Not a Bad Thing”. In Christopher Perkins ed. Dragon #421 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 31–32.
- Ed Greenwood (2005-09-28). Uthmere (Part Three): Daily and Nightly Life in Uthmere. Realmslore. Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2016-01-23. Retrieved on 2021-09-03.
- Christopher Perkins (September 6, 2016). Storm King's Thunder. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 48. ISBN 978-0786966004.
- Christopher Perkins (September 6, 2016). Storm King's Thunder. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 22, 31. ISBN 978-0786966004.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “The Settled Lands”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 7. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- Richard Baker (1993). The Dalelands. (TSR, Inc), p. 31. ISBN 978-1560766674.
- Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (Cyclopedia of the Realms). (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 0-8803-8472-7.
- Chet Williamson (July 1998). Murder in Cormyr. (TSR, Inc.), chap. 24, p. 153. ISBN 0-7869-0486-0.
- Ed Greenwood (November 1992). “The Everwinking Eye: Moonsea Shores”. In Jean Rabe ed. Polyhedron #77 (TSR, Inc.), p. 7.
- Douglas Niles (November 1987). Moonshae. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 42. ISBN 0-88038-494-8.
- Richard Green (November/December 1992). “A Blight On The Land”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #38 (TSR, Inc.), p. 9.
- Steven E. Schend, Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. Edited by Julia Martin. (TSR, Inc.), p. 123. ISBN 0-7869-1237-5.
- Uncredited (December 1994). “Tribes of the Nubari”. In Jean Rabe ed. Polyhedron #102 (TSR, Inc.), p. 10.
- William W. Connors, Steve Miller (August 1997). Domains of Dread. Edited by Miranda Horner, Cindi Rice. (TSR, Inc.), p. 59. ISBN 0-7869-0672-3.
- Erin M. Evans (December 2015). Ashes of the Tyrant. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 252. ISBN 978-0786965731.
- Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend et al (1992). Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. (TSR, Inc), p. 137. ISBN 0-5607-6327-2.
- Thomas M. Reid (November 2003). The Sapphire Crescent. (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 3, p. 82. ISBN 0-7869-3027-6.
- Ed Greenwood (10-10-2019). Four-course meals of the Realms (Tweet). theedverse. Twitter. Archived from the original on 5-16-2021. Retrieved on 5-16-2021.
- Ed Greenwood (March 2000). “The New Adventures of Volo: Hin Nobody Knows”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #269 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 86.
- Elaine Cunningham (November 1992). The Radiant Dragon. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 40–41. ISBN 1-56076-346-9.