A potion of giant strength was a type of concoction that modified the imbiber's raw physical power to that of a certain kind of giant.
The liquid of these types of potions was transparent and contained a fingernail of the specific giant. They varied in rarity from uncommon to legendary, which scaled with the power of the giant. Potions of giant strength were sold across Faerûn.
The imbiber had an increased chance to hit opponents, as well as do more damage with thrown or melee weapons. The types of potions available modified the user's strength from their own to that of a hill giant, frost giant/stone giant, fire giant, cloud giant, or even a storm giant.
Places and individuals in the Realms one could purchase potions of giant strength from included the following establishments:
- The Shattered Statue
- Video games
- Eye of the Beholder • Dungeon Hack • Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor • Menzoberranzan • Descent to Undermountain • Baldur's Gate • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal • Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
- slade et al (June 1995). Encyclopedia Magica Volume III. (TSR, Inc.), p. 871. ISBN 0-7869-0187-X.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 187. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- BioWare (September 2000). Designed by James Ohlen, Kevin Martens. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Black Isle Studios.
- BioWare (December 1998). Designed by James Ohlen. Baldur's Gate. Black Isle Studios.