Quippers were well adapted to many environments, but typically found in freshwater. It was not uncommon to find schools of quippers even in underground lakes.
They were common in rivers throughout Chult and in the headwaters of the Styx in Pandemonium. During the time of Netheril, schools of quippers lived in the southern Channel Lock, but never migrated into the deeper Narrow Sea, the reason unknown.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 335, 338. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Don Turnbull (1981). Fiend Folio. (TSR Hobbies), p. 74. ISBN 0-9356-9621-0.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 305. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, Robert J. Schwalb, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, Matt Sernett (November 2017). Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 109–110. ISBN 978-0-7869-6612-7.
- Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, Steve Winter (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. Edited by Michele Carter, Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 195, 202. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.
- slade, Jim Butler (October 1996). “The Winds of Netheril”. In Jim Butler ed. Netheril: Empire of Magic (TSR, Inc.), p. 68. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Cryptic Studios (August 2016). Neverwinter: Storm King's Thunder. Perfect World Entertainment.
- Wolfgang Baur and Lester Smith (1994-07-01). “The Book of Chaos”. In Michele Carter ed. Planes of Chaos (TSR, Inc), p. 84. ISBN 1560768746.
- Christopher Perkins, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Adam Lee, Matthew Sernett (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by Jeremy Crawford. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 21. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.