A rat was a long-tailed rodent, a species of animal. Rats with brown fur were favored by the Mulhorandi god Geb, while those with black fur were sacred to Loviatar. Rats of any variety were seen as signs of good omen to worshipers of Beshaba, Talona, and Yurtrus.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Rats were generally cowardly creatures, but would become fierce if cornered or trapped. They feared fire, but if hungry enough could be driven to ignore this base instinct.
Species[edit | edit source]
Ecology[edit | edit source]
Habitats[edit | edit source]
Rats thrived in urban environments where they could easily feed off the leftover food and waste of the community. Deep in the Underdark near Menzoberranzan, scurry rats were hunted by riding lizards of the drow.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 335. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 219. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 278. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 300. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (August 1983). Monster Manual II 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 105. ISBN 0-88038-031-4.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 302–305. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. pp. 10–15. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 64. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 81. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- R.A. Salvatore (September 1990). Homeland. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 5–6. ISBN 0-1401-4372-6.
- William W. Connors (1996). Monstrous Compendium - Ravenloft Appendices I & II. (TSR, Inc.), p. 70. ISBN 0786903929.