Ravens were black birds similar to crows. They were opportunistic eaters, feeding on carrion, insects, grains, fruits, and small animals. These birds thrived in most northern climates and were very long-lived, making them ideal pets and companions.
These creatures were very literal minded and often distracted by shiny objects. They were intelligent enough to be taught how to speak.
Outside of the Prime Material plane, ravens inhabited the Celestial Bureaucracy's plane of Qui, the Domains of Dread, the plane of Acheron, and along the most commonly traveled branches of Yggdrasil, the World Ash.
The Raven Queen commanded numerous flocks of ravens from her divine realm in the Shadowfell. The ravens acted as the Queen's scouts and messengers across the multiverse, also alerting and guiding her shadar-kai servants to the location of items and memories that she wished to collect.
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 335. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 278. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 302–305. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- David Howery (December 1993). “Familiar Faces”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #200 (TSR, Inc.), p. 32.
- Rick Swan (July 1990). Monstrous Compendium Kara-Tur Appendix. (TSR, Inc.), p. 61. ISBN 0-88038-851-X.
- Douglas Niles (November 1987). Moonshae. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 17–18. ISBN 0-88038-494-8.
- Dale "slade" Henson (April 1991). Realmspace. Edited by Gary L. Thomas, Karen S. Boomgarden. (TSR, Inc), p. 30. ISBN 1-56076-052-4.
- Rick Swan (1989). Test of the Samurai. (TSR, Inc), p. 51. ISBN 0-88038-775-0.
- William W. Connors (1996). Monstrous Compendium - Ravenloft Appendices I & II. (TSR, Inc.), p. 71. ISBN 0786903929.
- Jeff Grubb, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan (September 2001). Manual of the Planes 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 124. ISBN 0-7869-1850-8.
- Wolfgang Baur, Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel (April 2007). Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. Edited by Michele Carter, Penny Williams. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 40. ISBN 978-0-7869-4038-7.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (May 29, 2018). Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 59–61. ISBN 978-0786966240.
- Christopher Perkins, Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman (March 2016). Curse of Strahd. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 242. ISBN 978-0-7869-6598-4.
- Brian Vogel (August 1994). “The Raven Express: They Deliver Messages - And More”. In Jean Rabe ed. Polyhedron #98 (TSR, Inc.), p. 31.
- Wolfgang Baur, James Jacobs, George Strayton (September 2004). Frostburn. Edited by Greg Collins. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 125. ISBN 0-7869-2896-4.