The Realm of a Million Eyes was the 6th layer of the Abyss according to the Great Wheel cosmology and a realm of the Dismal Caverns according to the World Tree and World Axis cosmologies. It was the divine realm of the Great Mother, chief deity of the beholder pantheon.
Although difficult to distinguish from other similar realms in the Dismal Caverns, the Realm of a Million Eyes was a predominantly vertical system of caverns and tunnels. The walls themselves had protruding eyes, which belonged to the Great Mother herself.
The Great Mother's lair lay in a large cavern at the bottom of the tunnel system, from which she endlessly spawned new beholders into existence.
The realm was inhabited by every type of beholder and beholderkin that existed. They constantly attacked each other on sight, as well as any visitors, including demons. Some of the oldest and most powerful beholder petitioners of the realm acted as its police force.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Wolfgang Baur and Lester Smith (1994-07-01). “The Book of Chaos”. In Michele Carter ed. Planes of Chaos (TSR, Inc), p. 20. ISBN 1560768746.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ed Stark, James Jacobs, Erik Mona (June 13, 2006). Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 156. ISBN 0-7869-3919-2.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 148–149. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, Robert J. Schwalb (September 2008). Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 159. ISBN 978-0-7869-4929-8.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Jeff Grubb, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan (September 2001). Manual of the Planes 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 102. ISBN 0-7869-1850-8.
- ↑ Colin McComb (1996). On Hallowed Ground. Edited by Ray Vallese. (TSR, Inc), p. 175. ISBN 0-7869-0430-5.