The Red Plumes was a mercenary army of warriors that operated directly under the will of First Lord Maalthiir. They enforced his will within the walls of Hillsfar, even going so far as to harass its inhabitants, while regularly extorting them, in order to maintain a fear of his authority. They understood their limits however, never going as far as to warrant complaints that could be overheard by the First Lord.
Red Plumes were driven out of Hillsfar in 1376 DR by forces from Zhentil Keep. However, after three years of chaos, Maalthiir returned with a new force of Red Plumes and took back the rulership of the city. As of 1460 DR, Red Plumes maintained their presence in Hillsfar.
- Jorgen Berginblade, general of the Red Plumes
- Dounalis Guff, chaplain of the Red Plumes
- Serag Kull, a captain within the ranks of the Red Plumes
- Kindon Marstel, a captain of the Red Plumes during their expulsion from Hillsfar
- Hekman Odelmor, a captain of the Red Plumes during their expulsion from Hillsfar
- Roi Uxio, a soldier with an addiction to silkroot
- Zerna, a wizard in service to Captain Odelmor
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), p. 205. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.
- Darrin Drader, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds, Wil Upchurch (June 2006). Mysteries of the Moonsea. Edited by John Thompson, Gary Sarli. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 48. ISBN 978-0-7869-3915-2.
- Darrin Drader, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds, Wil Upchurch (June 2006). Mysteries of the Moonsea. Edited by John Thompson, Gary Sarli. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 49. ISBN 978-0-7869-3915-2.
- Richard Baker (January, 2010). Realms of the Dead ("The King in Copper"). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0786953632.
- Greg Marks (July 14th, 2015). State of Hillsfar. (Wizards of the Coast).