The caster instilled a certain object (see Components, below) with powerful teleportation magic. After casting, the object and the command word for its use had to be willingly given to another in order for it to function. Then, at any time thereafter, the bearer needed to simultaneously utter the command word and break or shred the object; the action should only several seconds and the spell discharged in the act. Then, the bearer and all they wore or carried (and no one with them) were immediately transported to the caster's dwelling, no matter how far away, provided they were in the same plane.
Alternatively, by altering the spell during initial casting, the caster could instead be transported to the bearer's side, no more than 10 feet (3 meters) away, after the item was broken and the command word spoken. The caster could not refuse to be transported, but would gain a general idea of the location and conditions of the bearer before arrival.
As well as verbal and somatic components, refuge required a material component. This was a specially prepared object including gems valued at 1,500 gp; this was typically a statuette, a jeweled rod, or single expensive gem.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 24, 27. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 185, 196269–270. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 63. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 86. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- Hal Maclean (September 2004). “Seven Deadly Domains”. In Matthew Sernett ed. Dragon #323 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 64.
- Matthew Sernett, Jeff Grubb, Mike McArtor (Dec 2005). Spell Compendium. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 276. ISBN 0-7869-3702-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 197, 235. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- Mark Middleton et al (September 1998). Wizard's Spell Compendium Volume Four. (TSR, Inc), p. 889. ISBN 978-0786912094.
- Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 153. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 121–123. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Skip Williams (2000). Conversion Manual. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 16.
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 153. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- Warning: edition not specified for Spellfire