Rings of magic detection were enchanted rings that allowed the wearer to see the glow of magical items and effects.
Description[edit | edit source]
Powers[edit | edit source]
Rings of magic detection showed the magic as a blue glow. The more powerful the enchantment was, the deeper the color blue appeared to the user. If the magic or effect observed was relatively weak, the glow appeared as light blue. The color depth was the only information the wearer could determine; they were unable to differentiate between positive or negative magical effects and spells.
Other effects visible when using rings of magic detection included faerie fire, charm, geas, curse, polymorph, creatures able to shapeshift, and invisible beings, as well as effects of potions and salves.
A ring of magic detection could hold between one and a hundred charges and it was rechargeable via casting a detect magic spell within 20 feet (6.1 meters) from the ring, which absorbed the spell's magic. The recharge could be done even without wearing the ring. When used, the effect of the ring's magic detection lasted from 1 to 6 minutes unless dismissed.
Most rings of magic detection were activated with a command word, which could be easily detected via an identify spell. When the spell was cast, the ring's command word appeared on the ring's surface as if it were floating a bit above the item.
Notable Owners[edit | edit source]
- Fire Knives were equipped with rings of magic detection in 1357 DR when they tracked the hero Alias and her magical azure bonds.
- Olive Ruskettle pocketed one of the rings of magic detection Alias retrieved off the Fire Knives assailants. The halfling bard used that ring's magic to cause azure bonds on her companion's chest to explode with bright pyrotechnics, blinding an ancient red dragon Mistinarperadnacles Hai Draco during her duel with Dragonbait.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- slade et al (June 1995). Encyclopedia Magica Volume III. (TSR, Inc.), p. 977. ISBN 0-7869-0187-X.
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), chap. 6, p. 68. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), chap. 3, p. 32. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), chap. 6, p. 67. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), chap. 20, p. 243. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.