Savage Species is an accessory for the 3rd-edition of Dungeons & Dragons®.
Whether wondrous or wicked, some monsters have a calling that reaches beyond the ordinary existence of their kind. Traveling alongside other intrepid characters, these heroic creatures carve their places in legend with sword, spell, tooth, and claw.This supplement for the D&D game provides everything you need to play a monster as a character or to make the monsters your heroes fight even more formidable. Inside are over 50 all-new monster classes that show how creatures develop their characteristics and abilities as they gain levels. Along with new prestige classes and monster templates, Savage Species also features new feats, spells, magic items, and more.
- Chapter 1: Character Creation Basics
- Chapter 2: Building Monster Characters
- Chapter 3: Monster Classes
- Chapter 4: Feats
- Chapter 5: Equipment
- Chapter 6: Spells
- Chapter 7: Prestige Classes
- Chapter 8: Campaigns
- Chapter 9: Advancing a Monster
- Chapter 10: Templates
- Chapter 11: Becoming a Monster
- Appendix 1: Sample Monster Classes
- Appendix 2: Compiled Tables
- Appendix 3: New Creatures
Savage Species introduces classes and outlines rules for playing monstrous races as player characters, and introduces taking racial levels in the player character's race instead of in a given class. It began as a guide to playing monsters as PCs but, during the design process, became a book to assist Dungeon Masters in creating monster non-player characters as well.
- Designers: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, David Eckelberry, Rich Redman, Sean K. Reynolds
- Developer: Rich Redman
- Editors: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, Penny Williams
- Managing Editor: Kim Mohan
- Design Manager: Ed Stark
- Managing Developer: Richard Baker
- Category Manager: Anthony Valterra
- Director of RPG R&D: Bill Slavicsek
- Art Director: Dawn Murin
- Cover Art: Jeff Easley
- Interior Artists: Dennis Cramer, Brian Despain, Emily Fiegenschuh, Jeremy Jarvis, John and Laura Lakey, Alan Pollack, Vinod Rams, Wayne Reynolds, David Roach, Scott Roller, Mark Sasso, Arnie Swekel, Sam Wood
- Graphic Designers: Sherry Floyd, Sean Glenn, Dawn Murin
- Project Manager: Martin Durham
- Production Manager: Chas DeLong
- Vice President Publishing: Mary Kirchoff
- Project Manager: Martin Durham
- Savage Species Art Gallery. Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2015-10-02. Retrieved on 2021-10-23.
- Excerpts: Savage Species (HTML). Excerpts Archive. Wizards of the Coast. (2003-02-02). Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2021-10-23.
- Rich Redman (2003-02-07). Two More New PC Races! (Zipped PDF). Web Enhancement for Savage Species. Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2017-10-28. Retrieved on 2009-10-07.
- Savage Species on the Wizards of the Coast website
- Dungeon Masters Guild product page
|3rd and 3.5 edition|
|Arms and Equipment Guide | Complete Adventurer | Complete Arcane | Complete Champion | Complete Divine | Complete Mage | Complete Psionic | Complete Warrior | Defenders of the Faith | Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons | Epic Level Handbook | Expanded Psionics Handbook | Manual of the Planes | Masters of the Wild | Oriental Adventures | Psionics Handbook | Savage Species | Spell Compendium | Stormwrack | Unearthed Arcana|