Description[edit | edit source]
Typical scarecrows were constructed from a stuffed sackcloth roughly shaped like a humanoid, then animated through binding with an evil spirit. Any creature could provide its spirit to animate a scarecrow, but different creators had different preferences. Hags and witches, for example, tended to prefer the spirits of demons.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Scarecrows were stalwart defenders of their creators. They had an unwavering allegiance to them, following their commands even long after their masters' deaths. Some scarecrows were loyal to the point of even seeking revenge for a slain master.
The spirit bound to a scarecrow could retain some traces of its former personality, but it did not carry any of its memories.
Combat[edit | edit source]
The unnerving sight of a scarecrow alone could terrify its victim to the point of paralysis. They were expert fighters with their razor-sharp claws, which were particularly effective against paralyzed targets.
History[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 268. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 170. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 303. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, Robert J. Schwalb, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, Matt Sernett (November 2017). Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 100–101. ISBN 978-0-7869-6612-7.
- Christopher Perkins, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Adam Lee, Matthew Sernett (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by Jeremy Crawford. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 35. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.
Connections[edit | edit source]
Flesh (Blood • Brain • Demonflesh • Fiendish flesh • Nyraala) • Gemstone (Diamond • Emerald • Ruby)
Gloom • Hammer • Ice • Iron (Furnace) • Lightning • Magic • Minogon • Necrophidius • Sand • Scarecrow • Siege golem • Snow
Stained glass • Stone (Spiderstone • Stone guardian • Stone juggernaut) • Thayan golem • Vault guardian