The major island chains of the Moonshaes and the Nelanther Isles and the jutting Tethyr Peninsula formed a rough boundary for the Sea of Swords. However, various authors have described the Sea of Swords as extending around the peninsula to meet the Purple Cliffs (the western edge of the Purple Hills in Tethyr). On the northern end, at least one author placed the island of Ruathym in the Sea of Swords, and another added the island of Gundarlun and even the Purple Rocks. It was not unusual for the Sea of Swords to be considered extending as far north as Luskan.
At least one kingdom of sea elves, known as Nindrol, claimed the waters around the island of Toaridge-at-the-Sun's-Setting just north of the Nelanther (or the northernmost island of that group, according to some maps).
- Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (Cyclopedia of the Realms). (TSR, Inc), p. 74. ISBN 0-8803-8472-7.
- Steven E. Schend (August 1997). “Book One: Tethyr”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Lands of Intrigue (TSR, Inc.), p. 73. ISBN 0-7869-0697-9.
- Brian R. James, Ed Greenwood (September 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. Edited by Kim Mohan, Penny Williams. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 29. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 43. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- BioWare (June 2002). Designed by Brent Knowles, James Ohlen. Neverwinter Nights. Atari.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Ed Greenwood (January 2000). “The New Adventures of Volo: Onward!”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #267 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 83.
- Karen Wynn Fonstad (August 1990). The Forgotten Realms Atlas. (TSR, Inc), p. 5. ISBN 978-0880388573.
- Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
Landmasses: Anchorome • Evermeet • Faerûn • Kara-Tur • Katashaka • Laerakond • Maztica • Merrouroboros • Osse • Zakhara
Seas and Oceans: Celestial Sea • Eastern Ocean • Eastern Sea • Great Ice Sea • Great Sea • Sea of Fallen Stars • Sea of Swords • Segara Sea • Shining Sea • Silver Sea • Southern Ocean • Trackless Sea • Western Ocean • Yellow Sea