The spellcaster made contact with a certain being he or she was familiar with and sent them a brief message of up to twenty-five words. If the recipient already knew the spellcaster, then they would recognize him or her. Afterward, the recipient could immediately respond with a similar message.
Even creatures with extremely low intelligence, like animals, could receive and comprehend the sending, but their ability to respond was limited to their capabilities.
The recipient was not obligated to act upon a sending in any manner.
If the intended recipient was located on a different plane to the sender, then there was a one-in-a-twenty chance that the sending would not be received. The local effects of the plane could make it more difficult still.
- Dungeon #19: "House of Cards"
- Dungeon #54: "The Fiends of Tethyr"
- Tyranny in Phlan
- Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
- Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
- Gary Gygax (December 1982). “From the Sorcerer's Scroll: Be the first to cast these new high-level spells”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #68 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 24–27, 54–59.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 23, 27. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 76, 207–210, 274. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 275–276. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 66. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), p. 87. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 171. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 153. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- ↑ slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 121–122. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.