Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land, designed by Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Reid, is an adventure module set in the Forgotten Realms using the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition ruleset. It focuses on Shadowdale, its invasion by Scyllua Darkhope, and the church of Shar.
|“|| Shadowdale lies conquered! Who can free this oppressed land?
Zhentish soldiers, Maerimydran drow, and Sharran cultists have forged a dark alliance to subjugate the peaceful land of Shadowdale. Elminster's tower lies in ruins, Lord Amcathra governs at the sufferance of the dale's conquerors, and the very Weave of magic in this embattled land seems to fray with each passing day. The Zhentish yoke lies heavy over Shadowdale—but the Dalesfolk are ready to fight for their freedom, if only they can find true heroes to lead the way!
This FORGOTTEN REALMS® campaign adventure is designed for characters of levels 9–13. It can be played as a stand-alone adventure or as the second adventure in a three-part series. Each encounter contains tactical information for the Dungeon Master and expanded map features for ease of play.
The combined forces of the Zhentarim, the drow of House Dhuurniv, and Esvele Greycastle of the Church of Shar overwhelm Shadowdale, after a preliminary raid destroys Elminster Aumar's tower and leaves him missing. It's up to the adventurers to save the legendary dale from the oppression of these dark forces, as a dead-magic zone emanates and grows from somewhere within the area.
- Chapter 1: Dale under Shadow — The adventurers arrive in Shadowdale.
- Chapter 2: Castle Krag — The castle has been transformed into "a bastion of Bane", complete with a portal to Zhentil Keep supplying reinforcements.
- Chapter 3: Dread Lair of Alokkair — Esvele Greycastle and the lich Alokkair are performing rites to expand the tear in the Weave and render it useless within the dale.
- Chapter 4: Azmaer's Folly — The Matron sisters of House Dhuurniv have reclaimed the Twisted Tower (a.k.a. "Azmaer's Folly" after the last drow marshal who held it).
- Chapter 5: Uprising — Facing off with remaining Zhentish forces and the High Captain Scyllua Darkhope.
- Alokkair • Aunrae Dhuurniv • Azalar Falconhand • Azmaer Dhuurniv • Borgan Selgard • Briadorn • Chalass Amcathra • Delgithnar • Deltra • Duagloth Seerear • Eimar • Eregul the Freestave • Eressea Ambergyles • Esvele Greycastle • Feldel • Frostbite • Forthar Helvenstron • Glamerie Windbough • Gormauthator • Greyanna Dhuurniv • Irphiina • Istivin Naerindyth • Jezz the Lame • Jhaele Silvermane • Jyordhan • The Keeper • Kurn Blackrage • Lashan Aumersair • Lirdnolu Dhuurniv • Longjaws • Malathon • Miri Amcathra • Mourngrym Amcathra • Mourntarn • Nazrym • Narhaun • Orielen • Qiltox • Rarnok Jadronson • Rathagol • Raven • Reptar • Scyllua Darkhope • Selvan • Shadowfang • Shaerl Amcathra • The Susurrus • Syluné Silverhand • Syluné's Warden • Targaraene • Temis • Tierak Morcane • Tolar • Urduthar • Weregund • Xullrae Dhuurniv • Yder Tanthul • Zvopua
- Referenced only:Aencar Burlisk • Amara Ildacar • Aolis Ildacar • Aumry Obarskyr • Dove Falconhand • Elminster Aumar • Florin Falconhand • Fzoul Chembryl • Hlonagh • Irae T'sarran • Joadath • Josidiah Starym • Khelben Arunsun • Kurgoth Hellspawn • Laele Dhuurniv • Orym Hawksong • Storm Silverhand • Telamont Tanthul
- amnizu • balhannoth • banelar • basilisk • Banestalker • beast of Bane • behir • beholder • crossroads guardian • direguard • dire bat • dread warrior • drow • erinyes • ettin • fang dragon • feytouched • fire spider • flameskull • foulwing • gargoyle • giant spider • gnoll • half-dragon • half-orc • helmed horror • hell hound • horse • human • invisible stalker • kuo-toa • lich • lizard • lodestone marauder • maug • mezzoloth • mummy • myrlochar • nightmare • nishruu • nycaloth • ogre • quaggoth • rat • red dragon • shade • shadowslain • shadow mastiff • shadow simulacrum • shadow spider • skeleton • snake • spellwarped • spider • sword spider • wendigo • wight • winter wolf • wolf
- Referenced only:fey • phaerimm • spectral harpist
- Buildings & Sites
- Castle Krag • Dread Lair of Alokkair • Druid's Grove • Fox Ridge • Grinding Gulf • Harpers' Hill • House of Night • North Ride • Skull Lake • Skull Subterranes • Twisted Tower of Ashaba • Watcher's Knoll
- Oakwood Knoll • Shadowdale
- Dagger Hills • River Ashaba • River of Skulls • Shadowdark • Underdark
- Material Plane
- Referenced only:Cormyr • Cormanthor • Hlontar • Maerimydra • Moonsea • Myth Drannor • Plane of Shadow • Rystall wood • Sembia • Thultanthar • Zhentil Keep
- Referenced only:Staff of the magi
- Referenced only:Knights of Myth Drannor
- Referenced only:Eilistraee • Myrkul
- aquamarine • blue whinnis • drow poison • Font of Spiders • Hammer • jasper • Spider's Truce • spidersilk armor • Starym Sapphires • Syluné's Kiss
- Referenced only:Rage of Dragons • Silence of Lolth • Weeping War
Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land was originally to be titled Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding. This title can still be seen in product descriptions online, such as at Amazon.
This module is the second of a three-part series, with Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave (the first) and Anauroch: The Empire of Shade (the third), with shared plot elements and the theme of a Sharran attack upon Mystra and her Weave of magic, but it can be played independently. One of the last official adventures released for 3.5 edition, it formed part of the lead up to the Spellplague and 4th edition.
- Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land article at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- Dungeon Masters Guild product page
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 2. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 4. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.
Anauroch: The Empire of Shade • City of the Spider Queen • Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave • Into the Dragon's Lair • Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor • Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land • Sons of Gruumsh • The Twilight Tomb