Each of the Shards was female and had long flowing blue hair and pearly white skin with shining aspect. They could display or dismiss their wings as they desired. It was told they were formed from equal parts moonlight and fire.
The Shards could be summoned by the church of Selûne in the sacred ritual of the Conjuring of the Second Moon, conducted only during Shieldmeet, which occurred every four years. This required a coordinated chant performed in every temple of Selûne in Faerûn, and the confluence of the energy of this devotion summoned the Shards. The priests could have the Shards do their bidding, usually to battle the minions of Selûne's arch-nemesis and twin, Shar, but only for a single night. However, at dawn, the Shards always took one mortal priestess to join their number before departing the world.
A few Shards would return to the material plane to visit old lovers, and children could be born from these unions. In some parts of Faerûn were aasimar and other supernatural bloodlines with ties to the Moonmaiden.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 154. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ Thomas M. Costa, Ed Greenwood (March 2007). “Volo's Guide: Outsiders of the Forgotten Realms”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #353 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 68.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), pp. 29–30. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Julia Martin, Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), Running the Realms. (TSR, Inc), p. 52. ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Julia Martin, Eric L. Boyd (March 1996). Faiths & Avatars. (TSR, Inc), p. 135. ISBN 978-0786903849.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), p. 52. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 249. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 55. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (March 2006). Power of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 54. ISBN 0-7869-3910-9.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds (Nov. 2005). Champions of Valor. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 57. ISBN 0-7869-3697-5.
- ↑ Julia Martin, Eric L. Boyd (March 1996). Faiths & Avatars. (TSR, Inc), p. 136. ISBN 978-0786903849.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (March 1990). The Wyvern's Spur. (TSR, Inc), pp. 225, ?. ISBN 0-8803-8902-8.
- ↑ Don Bassingthwaite, Dave Gross (December 2004). Mistress of the Night. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 13. ISBN 0-7869-3346-1.