Shocking grasp charged the caster's hand with electrical energy that damaged a touched foe. A foe with large amounts of metal would suffer a greater effect.
According to the tome known as the Book of the Silver Talon, the ingredients for the ink used to inscribe shocking grasp into spellbooks were: one ounce of giant octopus ink, an ounce of ash from a tree that was struck by lightning, four drops of holy water, a powdered sapphire, one pinch of powdered orichalcum, asafetida, balm of gilead, ginseng and either mace or masterwort.
The herbs were burnt in an oakwood fire, the ash of which was combined with the ash from the tree in a small bowl of either copper or white orichalcum. Two drops of holy water were added to the bowl and stirred into a paste, after which the powdered sapphire and metal were thrown in the last two drops of the holy water. When it was all stirred together into a paste, it was added to the octopus ink and heated to a boil, while constantly stirred.
- slade, Jim Butler (October 1996). “The Winds of Netheril”. In Jim Butler ed. Netheril: Empire of Magic (TSR, Inc.), p. 25. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 209–210, 275. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Jeremy Crawford, James Wyatt, Keith Baker (November 2019). Eberron: Rising from the Last War. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 56. ISBN 978-0-7869-6692-9.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 137. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- Sam Witt (March 1994). The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. Edited by Dezra D. Phillips, C. Terry Phillips. (TSR, Inc.), p. 124. ISBN 1-56076-828-2.
- slade, Jim Butler (October 1996). “The Winds of Netheril”. In Jim Butler ed. Netheril: Empire of Magic (TSR, Inc.), pp. 121–122. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Spell Index. Consolidated Lists. Wizards of the Coast. (2005-12-19). Retrieved on 2007-06-10.
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- Magic: The Gathering (July 2021). AFR #75 "Shocking Grasp" Wizards of the Coast.
- Ed Greenwood, Tim Beach (1995). Pages from the Mages. (TSR, Inc), p. 23. ISBN 0-7869-0183-7.
- Jason Carl, Sean K. Reynolds (October 2001). Lords of Darkness. Edited by Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 116. ISBN 07-8691-989-2.
- Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 161. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.