Total silence enveloped an area 40 feet (12 meters) wide, centered on a target creature or object (in which the area would move with them) or a fixed location up to long distance away. An unwilling target creature could resist through force of will, as could magic items in their possession that made sound. Within this area, no sounds could be made or heard, nor could sound transmit through the area. It was impossible to speak or cast spells with verbal components, an approaching attacker could not be heard, and sonic- or language-based magics, like the spell command, the song of a harpy, or a horn of blasting, might not function. It lasted at least three minutes, longer for more experienced casters.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 68, 207–209, 275–276. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 139. ISBN 978-0786965809.
- Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 312. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 182, 184, 279. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 91. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 275–276. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.