Slavery was a practice among certain cultures that forced a sentient creature to serve another, often against their will. Slavery differed from other forms of service such as indentured servitude or apprenticeship in that slavery was of an indefinite duration and the slave rarely had any choice in the arrangement.
Slavery in the Realms
Slavery was illegal in Ravens Bluff but there was an active slave trade with the drow in the Underdark beneath the city. The penalty for selling slaves in Ravens Bluff was one to five years in prison and a fine of 1,000-5,000 gp.
Slavery was legal and commonplace in Thay. Thayan enclaves brought slavery (though only inside the enclave grounds) to several settlements all over Faerûn. Though not permitted to trade in slaves out of the enclave, this did sometimes occur.
Slavery was a fact of life among 'civilised' Underdark cultures such as the drow and they were known to keep slaves of many races. Aberrations like the mind flayers and aboleths kept charmed or dominated thralls instead of slaves.
- Azad the Free
- Jack Ravenwild
- Halani Meliamne
- Seila Norwood
- Tresk Mulander
- Valas Belaem del Pharm
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Edited by Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 92. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 57. ISBN 978-0786912377.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Edited by Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 138. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- Richard Baker (May 2008). Swordmage. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0786947881.
- Scott Bennie (February 1990). Old Empires. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 13. ISBN 978-0880388214.
- Curtis Scott (March 1992). Pirates of the Fallen Stars. (TSR, Inc), p. 40. ISBN 978-1560763208.
- Richard Baker (July 3, 2012). Prince of Ravens (Kindle ed.). (Wizards of the Coast), loc. 412. ISBN B005UFN5SO.
- Bruce Rabe (August 1995). “Crime and Punishment”. In Duane Maxwell ed. Polyhedron #110 (TSR, Inc.), p. 20.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 284. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Christopher Rowe (March 2011). Sandstorm. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786957422.
- Richard Baker (July 3, 2012). Prince of Ravens (Kindle ed.). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN B005UFN5SO.
- Christopher Perkins (September 6, 2016). Storm King's Thunder. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 173–175. ISBN 978-0786966004.
- Elaine Cunningham (November 2003). Rite of Blood (The Best of the Realms). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3024-1.
- Black Isle Studios (August 2002). Designed by J.E. Sawyer. Icewind Dale II. Interplay.
- slade, et al. (April 1996). “The Wilderness”. In James Butler ed. The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier (TSR, Inc.), p. 74. ISBN 0-7869-0391-0.
- R.A. Salvatore (August 1994). Starless Night. (TSR, Inc), p. 193. ISBN 1-56076-880-0.
- Mark Sehestedt (2006). Frostfell. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 14. ISBN 0-7869-4245-2.