Sleep Sound is an official animated short story published by Wizards of the Coast about the early life and adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden. It was written by R.A. Salvatore, the author of the Legend of Drizzt, and narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch. It was released on Youtube on May 21, 2021.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Many years later, Drizzt is now an adolescent and receives his signature blades, scimitars. He is given them by high-ranking females of drow society after the weapons descend from spider webs.[note 1] As a right of passage, Drizzt ascends to the surface with his fellow drow. Here, he enters Icewind Dale for the first time to slay a group of surface dwellers living in a manor. However, Drizzt hesitates, and does not go along with the kill.[note 2] Drizzt is exposed by his mother for not following through with the act, and he heads to the surface.[note 3]
Finally on the surface, Drizzt and his astral panther companion, Guenhwyvar, seek shelter in a cave. The drow renegade finds a new set of allies: Bruenor Battlehammer, Catti-brie, and Wulfgar. Together, they fight off foes together, and slay numerous yetis. Drizzt then becomes intimate with Catti-brie and they embrace each other.[note 4]
Time leaps backwards to the birth of Drizzt, sleeping sound in a spider's web. Surrounded by members of House Do'Urden, and their arachnid companions, Malice Do'Urden prepares to kill her newborn son. However, Drizzt is spared.[note 5]
Time leaps forward one last time, to Drizzt and Guenhwyvar walking together side by side in the tranquility of Icewind Dale.
Index[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Creatures[edit | edit source]
- panther • bat • human (Uthgardt) • dwarf • elf (drow) • horse • spider (giant) • white dragon[note 6] • yeti
Items[edit | edit source]
- battleaxe • bit and bridle • bow (and arrows) • bracer • cloak • dagger • helmet • horn • lantern • necklace • quiver • robe • saddle • scimitar • shield • sword • warhammer
Locations[edit | edit source]
Magic[edit | edit source]
Organizations[edit | edit source]
Religion[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Though the text and narration are accurate, the animation itself is not, inaccurately portraying how Drizzt received his scimitars. In actual fact, he acquired them from his father's collection during training.
- This is not how Drizzt's expedition went. Drizzt was instead part of an expedition to slay a group of surface elves during an outside ceremony. Drizzt pretends to kill an elven child, but covers it up.
- This scene incorrectly assumes that Drizzt has his green furred ranger's cloak in Menzoberranzan as he is leaving, though he should actually have a piwafwi. Drizzt only acquires his green furred ranger's cloak later from the Weeping Friars.
- In the Legend of Drizzt series, Wulfgar and Catti-brie are intimate during this time, not Drizzt and Catti-brie.
- Though not mentioned in the video, only three male sons can exist in a standard Menzoberranzyr house. Due to the the death of Nalfein Do'Urden, one of Drizzt's brothers, at the hands of Dinin Do'Urden, another of Drizzt's brothers, there is one more spot now open. Thus, Drizzt was allowed to live. This is hinted at in Sleep Sound in the passage: "Brother, I say, there can only be one. For if there were two, there couldn't be you. Then that silken swaddle, that tickling wreath, would instead be your death by the Spider Queen's teeth!"
- The white dragon depicted here might be Icingdeath, as Wulfgar and Drizzt fought him during this era. However, the actual battle took place in a cave, where Icingdeath was slain by a dislodged icicle.