Speak with monsters was an alteration spell that allowed the caster to communicate with any creature that had some mode of communication. It was one of the spells available from the Balance of Belaros, a holy relic of Tyr.
Effects[edit | edit source]
For two minutes per level of experience the caster could speak any creature's language through whatever medium (audio, tactile, pheromones, sign language, dance, empathy, telepathy, etc.) and be able to convey and understand intent, ideas, and concepts up to the complexity the creature was able to grasp. The caster could speak to only one type of creature at a time, but all creatures of the same type within 90 ft (27 m) could understand the caster, within the limitations of the communication medium (pheromones in a high wind might be tricky).
Components[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 229. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 290. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 186. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 51–52. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.
- Gary Gygax, David Cook, and François Marcela-Froideval (1985). Oriental Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 70. ISBN 0-8803-8099-3.
- Ed Greenwood and Doug Stewart (1997). Prayers from the Faithful. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 9–10. ISBN 0-7869-0682-0.