A staff of power was usually straight with a precious gem on top.
A staff of power has a number of potent abilities, including casting magic missile, making enemies enfeebled, creating a continual flame, allowing the user to levitate and be protected by a wall of force and globe of invulnerability, holding monsters, and using offensive spells such as lightning bolt, fireball, and cone of cold.
A staff of power could also be willfully broken to release all of its charges within a 30-ft area. Upon being broken, the staff had a 50% likelihood of transporting the wielder to another plane, or else the wielder would be destroyed by spell energy.
- Gromph Baenre (destroyed in 1373 DR)
- Khelben Arunsun (Blackstaff, variant)
- Maaril owned a special staff of power, the dragonstaff of Ahghairon.
- Card Games
- ↑ Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 243. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 202. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 245. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- ↑ Philip Athans (August 2005). Annihilation. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 169. ISBN 0-7869-3752-1.
- ↑ Paul S. Kemp (February 2006). Resurrection. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 41. ISBN 0-7869-3981-8.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 275. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 32–33. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.