Description[edit | edit source]
These sharks had dirty gray skin with greenish-black markings that looked like patches of scum. Unlike natural sharks, their fins were specially adapted for crawling and they could survive short periods on land by breathing through a set of primitive lungs.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
These sharks relentlessly pursued their prey, all the way on to land if need be, until blocked by obstacles.
History[edit | edit source]
Around the 10th century DR, members of the Cult of the Dragon came to the Thunder Peaks area. They went on to construct the Temple of the Dragon Oracle within the partially flooded crater of Mount Drakkor Rouge, and then created the swamp sharks to act as guard animals for its brackish salt marsh waters.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The unnumbered "Monster Statistics Table" within The Shattered Statue states that these creatures have the same statistics as sharks from the base Monster Manual.
- Canon material does not provide a year for the events described in The Shattered Statue, but through extensive research this wiki has estimated a date. The explanation for this date is divided into three points:
(1) Page 16 of The Shattered Statue (February, 1988) describes the destruction of Phlan by dragons as having occurred "several years ago." Since the conflict "Dragon Run" did not exist until The Moonsea, this has to be referring to the Flight of the Dragon (1356 DR), which was introduced in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set.
(2) The Savage Frontier (August, 1988), is set in 1358 DR and has Amelior Amanitas refer to its events in past tense.
(3) Page 18 of The Shattered Statue describes the Cult of the Dragon as having long had no presence in Volkumburgh Vale, but TSR Jam 1999 has the cult re-establishing themselves there in 1359 DR.
(4) In conclusion, all together this info suggests that The Shattered Statue takes place in 1358 DR.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Shattered Statue
References[edit | edit source]
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 87. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Jennell Jaquays (February 1988). The Shattered Statue. Edited by Steve Perrin. (TSR, Inc.), p. 18. ISBN 0-88038-498-0.
- John D. Rateliff ed. (1999-02-22). TSR Jam 1999. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 2. ISBN 0786914459.
- Jennell Jaquays (February 1988). The Shattered Statue. Edited by Steve Perrin. (TSR, Inc.), p. 17. ISBN 0-88038-498-0.