The Ruins of Undermountain is a boxed set written by Ed Greenwood and released by TSR in 1991. The material describes Undermountain, the infamous über-dungeon of the Forgotten Realms. It is the first in what became a series of supplements about Undermountain.
UNDERMOUNTAIN awaits you: the fabled and feared battleground of the Realms—"The Deepest Dungeon of them all."
DARE YOU FACE ... miles upon miles of deadly traps, glittering treasures, strange and cryptic rooms, and slithering, skulking, lurking monsters? They await you underneath Waterdeep!
UNDERMOUNTAIN is a dungeon setting for AD&D® 2nd Edition campaign play: the oldest, largest, and deadliest dungeon-crawl in the FORGOTTEN REALMS™ Campaign Setting. It is the place where intrepid adventurers endeavor to become veterans, to win a place among the rich and famous—if they survive its depths. Enter an endless maze where waiting death bears a thousand faces and treasures lie hidden in a thousand places.
It's just the setting for long-running, memorable, great AD&D game play, the perfect locale you'll never forget. So please, come in. Mind your step among the skulls. Oh, yes—good luck—you'll be needing it.
The RUINS OF UNDERMOUNTAIN Campaign Set includes:
- A 128-page book describing Undermountain, its history, its horrors, and details of the first three levels of the dungeon;
- A 32-page adventure book for use exclusively with Undermountain and Waterdeep;
- Four full-color maps of the vast and dangerous dungeon;
- Eight Monstrous Compendium pages of new monsters; and
- Eight durable cards loaded with traps, treasures, and trinkets to fill your dungeons.
- baneguard • bat • brown mold • bugbear • carrion crawler • chimera • clay golem • crawling claw • drow • dung snake • ettercap • gargoyle • ghast • ghoul • giant centipede • giant weasel • giant gar • giant spider • gnoll • goblin • grell • guardian skeleton • helmed horror • hobgoblin • kobold • leucrotta • lurker above • mimic • necrophidius • neo-otyugh • ochre jelly • orc • peltast • rat • roper • rot grub • salamander • snake • spectre • spider, flying • stirge • stone golem • tentamort • trapper • vampyre • water weird • wereboar • wyvern
- This is derived from the date given in Cloak & Dagger for the death of Flaern Cragsmere, mentioned in the Undermountain Adventures booklet in this boxed set.
- Ed Greenwood (1991). “Campaign Guide to Undermountain”. In Steven E. Schend ed. The Ruins of Undermountain (TSR, Inc.), p. 2. ISBN 1-5607-6061-3.
- Steven E. Schend, Sean K. Reynolds and Eric L. Boyd (June 2000). Cloak & Dagger. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 99. ISBN 0-7869-1627-3.
- Ed Greenwood (1991). “Undermountain Adventures”. In Steven E. Schend ed. The Ruins of Undermountain (TSR, Inc.), p. 19. ISBN 1-5607-6061-3.