Thoth (pronounced: /θoʊθ/ thoth) was the scribe and historian of the Mulhorandi pantheon. Also known by the names Tholaunt in Thay and Thalatos in Unther, Thoth was an intellectual deity known for academic debate and innovation.
During the Second Sundering, Thoth and other deities from the pantheon returned in the form of demigods and led the Mulhorandi uprising against the Imaskari, in a manner similar to how the Chosen manifested in other regions. As of 1489 DR, Mulhorand was led by the returned pantheon, who temporarily set their differences aside for the good of the Mulhorandi people.
Thoth was an elder member of the Mulhorandi pantheon, and considered Horus-Re, Isis, and Osiris to be close allies. He also forged favorable relationships with Azuth, Deneir, Gond, Oghma, Mystra, and Savras. Only Set and his followers were seen as true enemies of Thoth, though he was known to intervene in the actions of the Red Wizards of Thay as well.
AvatarEditThoth usually appeared as a slender Mulan male possessing the head of an ibis. He wore a linen skirt and gold breastplate, and often wore a wig. His quarterstaff was almost always close at hand.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Thoth used arcane and divine spells with equal ease, and always cast spells deftly and efficiently. Thoth's Staff of Office was both a powerful artifact and a repository of ancient magic Thoth could draw upon. Thoth possessed the ability to fly at will and could negate magical effects as he chose. He could control any constructs in his vicinity, and those struck by his staff faced instant death.
- Sight and sound
- Thoth often drew the attention of his followers to important information through the call of an ibis or visual illumination.
- Mark of Thoth
- Engineering marvels in Mulhorand were marked by the holy symbol of Thoth in some part of their construction, signifying that the King of Knowledge was pleased by such work.
Church of ThothEditClergy in the church of Thoth were typically Mulan belonging to the House of Tholaunt, a house composed of mortal descendants of incarnations of Thoth himself. These individuals devoted much of their time to continual research and study, as well as spreading the knowledge obtained in this way to the people of Mulhorand.
The center of the church of Thoth was the Arcanum of Magic, located in the city of Gheldaneth. Temples dedicated to Thoth typically served as the libraries and centers of learning of Mulhorand. These structures often incorporated and showcased grand feats of engineering and foreign knowledge in their design.
Clergy of the church of Thoth typically wore linen skirts or robes and sandals. Their shaven heads bore the concentric blue circles that signified their calling, and they carried writing utensils and parchment with them at all times. When preparing for combat, clergy of Thoth equipped themselves appropriately for the situation but avoided armor and selected simple weapons whenever possible.
The church of Thoth ran the scribe's guild in Mulhorand, the members of which often served as record keepers and in other similar government positions.
- Order of the Ibis Feather
- These elite scribes directly served the pharaoh of Mulhorand.
- Brothers and Sisters of the Quill
- These priests and wizards were charged with retrieving and protecting the secrets of their nation in the lands beyond Mulhorand's border.
Celebrations and festivalsEdit
The holy symbol of Thoth was the first thing depicted on any document created by a member of his clergy.
- Ceremony of Introspection
- To symbolize their dedication to pure understanding, the clergy of Thoth fasted and bathed in cold water on the days of the summer and winter solstices.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 129. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 147. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 59, 299. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 41. ISBN 978-0786965809.
- ↑ Hal Maclean (May 2007). “Seven Saintly Domains”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #355 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 26.
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 6.14 6.15 6.16 6.17 Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 130. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 148. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 145. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 12. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
Akadi | Amaunator | Asmodeus | Auril | Azuth | Bane | Beshaba | Bhaal | Chauntea | Cyric | Deneir | Eldath | Gond | Grumbar | Gwaeron | Helm | Hoar | Ilmater | Istishia | Jergal | Kelemvor | Kossuth | Lathander | Leira | Lliira | Loviatar | Malar | Mask | Mielikki | Milil | Myrkul | Mystra | Oghma | Red Knight | Savras | Selûne | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talona | Talos | Tempus | Torm | Tymora | Tyr | Umberlee | Valkur | Waukeen
Abbathor | Berronar Truesilver | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Deep Duerra | Dugmaren Brightmantle | Dumathoin | Gorm Gulthyn | Haela Brightaxe | Laduguer | Marthammor Duin | Moradin | Sharindlar | Vergadain
Aerdrie Faenya | Angharradh | Corellon | Deep Sashelas | Erevan | Fenmarel Mestarine | Hanali Celanil | Labelas Enoreth | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Shevarash | Solonor Thelandira
The Dark Seldarine
Eilistraee | Kiaransalee | Lolth | Selvetarm | Vhaeraun
Arvoreen | Brandobaris | Cyrrollalee | Sheela Peryroyl | Urogalan | Yondalla
Lords of the Golden Hills
Baervan Wildwanderer | Baravar Cloakshadow | Callarduran Smoothhands | Flandal Steelskin | Gaerdal Ironhand | Garl Glittergold | Nebelun | Segojan Earthcaller | Urdlen
Bahgtru | Gruumsh | Ilneval | Luthic | Shargaas | Yurtrus
Anhur | Bast | Geb | Hathor | Horus | Isis | Nephthys | Osiris | Re | Sebek | Set | Thoth
Other gods of Faerûn
Bahamut | Enlil | Finder Wyvernspur | Ghaunadaur | Gilgeam | Lurue | Moander | Nobanion | Raven Queen | Tiamat
Greater Gods of Faerûn
Amaunator | Asmodeus | Bane | Chauntea | Corellon | Cyric | Ghaunadaur | Gruumsh | Kelemvor | Lolth | Moradin | Oghma | Selûne | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Tempus | Torm
Gods of Faerûn
Angharradh | Auril | Bahamut | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Garl Glittergold | Gond | Ilmater | Loviatar | Luthic | Malar | Mielikki | Sheela Peryroyl | Sseth | Talona | Tiamat | Tymora | Umberlee | Waukeen | Zehir
Exarchs of Faerûn
Abbathor | Arvoreen | Baervan Wildwanderer | Bahgtru | Baravar Cloakshadow | Brandobaris | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Sashelas | Dugmaren Brightmantle | Erevan Ilesere | Fenmarel Mestarine | Fzoul Chembryl | Garagos | Hoar | Hruggek | Jergal | Labelas Enoreth | Lliira | Maglubiyet | Malar | Marthammor Duin | Milil | Obould | Red Knight | Sharess | Shargaas | Shevarash | Shiallia | Siamorphe | Solonor Thelandira | Thard Harr | Uthgar | Valkur | Vaprak | Vergadain
Greater Deities of Faerûn
Angharradh | Bane | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Cyric | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Kelemvor | Lathander | Moradin | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla
Intermediate Deities of Faerûn
Abbathor | Arvoreen | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | |Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain
Major Deities of Faerûn
Angharradh | Bane | Bhaal | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Lathander | Moradin | Myrkul | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla
Other Deities of Faerûn
Auppenser | Abbathor | Arvoreen | Auril | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain