Tomatoes could be consumed fresh picked, but they could not survive the trip to Faerûn in that state. Imported tomatoes had to be dried and preserved in oil, which intensified their sweet flavor. Tomatoes were frequently used in soups, salads, and candies.
Beyond their native land of Maztica, places in the Realms where tomatoes were known to be cultivated included:
- North Faerûn: In the Dalelands, these vegetables were cultivated by farmers in the Battledale and Mistledale regions.
- In south Faerûn, they were cultivated in the Arnaden region near areas with water.
- Video Games
- Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend et al (1992). Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. (TSR, Inc), p. 134. ISBN 0-5607-6327-2.
- Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, Jeff Quick, and James Wyatt (March 2003). Arms and Equipment Guide 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 31. ISBN 978-0-7869-2649-7.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “The Settled Lands”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 7. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 123. ISBN 978-0786912377.