Ulthroloths (pronounced: /ˈʊltrəloʊθz/ UL-truh-lothz) were the strange, enigmatic rulers of the yugoloths. These creatures held sway over their underlings by the force of their will and their reputation for cruelty. These ruling yugoloths appeared as faceless humanoids with large eyes that resembled fire opals. They had dark gray skin and typically wore flowing capes or cloaks. They communicated using telepathy.
Ultroloths, though evil, were cerebral and reserved. They rarely entered combat. Their physical attack consisted of two hand strikes, whilst their touch inflicted energy damage. They could be found carrying weapons, too. They were fond of swords and great pole-arms. Their gaze had the power to fascinate, as the spell hypnotic pattern. No attack of a nonmagical nature affected an ultroloth. They were harmed only by weapons of magic. They had infravision and were never surprised.
None of the lower plane mercenaries would dare to disobey an ultroloth for fear of the punishment. Even non-yugoloths dwelling in the lower planes steered clear of them, fearing their powers. However, the actual power of the ultroloth was not all that much greater than others of their kind, no yugoloth of lesser status knew the capabilities of their rulers. They were of an unknown quantity, and thus greatly feared.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 312, 314. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Greg Bilsland and Robert J. Schwalb (June 15, 2010). Monster Manual 3 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 47. ISBN 0786954902.
- ↑ Andrew Finch, Gwendolyn Kestrel, Chris Perkins (September 2004). Monster Manual III. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 204. ISBN 0-7869-3430-1.
- ↑ Allen Varney, ed. (June 1994). Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix. (TSR, Inc.), p. 126. ISBN 978-1560768623.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (August 1983). Monster Manual II 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 31. ISBN 0-88038-031-4.
- ↑ J. Paul LaFountain (1991). Monstrous Compendium: Outer Planes Appendix. Edited by Timothy B. Brown. (TSR, Inc.), p. 5. ISBN 1-56076-055-9.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Andrew Finch, Gwendolyn Kestrel, Chris Perkins (September 2004). Monster Manual III. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 204. ISBN 0-7869-3430-1.
- ↑ Bill Connors, Christopher Mortika, Rick Reid, Scott Bennie, John Terra, Jay Batista, Roy Schelper, Rick Swan (May 1988). Swords of the Iron Legion. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 32–33. ISBN 978-0880385596.
- ↑ Paul S. Kemp (February 2006). Resurrection. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3981-8.