Under Illefarn is a 1st-edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons adventure that was set in the Forgotten Realms.
The adventure is a scenario designed for beginning players in the Forgotten Realms setting. The player characters are residents of the town of Daggerford, and are therefore automatically members of the town militia and thus required to deal with local perils, such as fighting lizardmen raiders, rescuing a kidnapped noblewoman, and guarding a caravan. The module describes Daggerford and its personalities, as well as the nearby dwarf and orc lairs of Illefarn.
Daggerford is fairly quiet for a frontier town. Sure, lizard men raid the local baron's holding now and then, orcs sneak out of the Misty Forest to raid caravans on the Trade Way, and Lady Bronwyn has a few suitors who are a touch too passionate, but there's nothing going on that a member of the renowned Daggerford militia can't handle.
Except that the Shining River has turned green, and cattle are dying. Except that the Elf King of Laughing Hollow, a place where no human dares to go without fearing for his life, is asking the militia for help. Except that strange substances are oozing from the fissures caused by a recent earthquake. Except that the earthquake also has opened an entrance in the cliffs around Laughing Hollow that might lead to the fabled dwarf mines of Illefarn.
Suddenly, being a militiaman isn't quite as easy as it used to be...
- While in development this module had the working title of Beneath Illefarn. This name was made public by Jeff Grubb in Dragon #119's article "The Game Wizards."
- The maps in this module have many numbered rooms that don't receive descriptions/fixed content anywhere in the text, leaving them to be populated by DMs.
- Steve Perrin (1987). Under Illefarn. (TSR, Inc), p. 1. ISBN 0-88038-489-1.
- Steve Perrin (1987). Under Illefarn. (TSR, Inc), p. 15. ISBN 0-88038-489-1.
- Shannon Appelcline. N5 Under Illefarn (1e). Dungeon Masters Guild. Retrieved on October 31, 2013.
- Lawrence Schick (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. (Prometheus Books). ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- Steve Perrin (1987). Under Illefarn. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-489-1.
- Jeff Grubb (March 1987). “The Game Wizards”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #119 (TSR, Inc.), p. 59.
- Skip Williams (September 1990). “Sage Advice”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #161 (TSR, Inc.), p. 89.