The Uplands contained a few large towns and small cities but was most noted for its numerous farming communities known as "thaedars". These collectives saw a number of small farms banding together for mutual protection, easier transportation of goods and a greater shared labor force during the harvest months. Among the most successful and well-known of these groups included the Red Ram, Silver Plough and Three Horns thaedars.
The miners and other laborers of the Uplands led hard lives that often led to heavy drinking rowdy behavior. While this behavior was seldom tolerated, these hard-working folk earned the nation significant wealth, and were a granted a fair amount of leeway by otherwise austere Impilturan constabulary.
A number of Triadic monasteries and abbeys were located in the Uplands.
- Laviguer: This rough-and-tumble mining town often competed with the nearby settlement of Vordric Dun.
- New Sarshel: While it fell within the borders of the Easting Coast, this great city was considered the "capital" of the Uplands.
- Outentown: Located where the Prince's Road met the Herald's Road, this small city was centered among the farms of the Uplands.
- Songhal: A place of learning nestled in sprawling frontier farmlands, this town housed perhaps the largest temple of Oghma in all of Faerûn.
- Vordric Dun: Another of the great mining hubs of the Earthfasts, this wild town was well-patrolled by the Warswords of Impiltur.
- Shimmerglade: This rocky basin was a dangerous locale that held wavering spots wild magic that was marked by an arcane rune, inscribed by the former Magister of Mystra Nouméa Drathchuld.