|“||"The Nine Hells take Lolth. I'm a free man."||”|
|— Rylfal Xiluin's words to a drow priestess, shortly before he blew her head off with an eldritch blast|
Rylfal Xiluin is tall and well-built for a dark elf, standing 5"4' and weighing about 125 pounds. Like Drizzt Do'Urden, he has lavender eyes and stark-white hair.
In battle he wears a suit of elven chain the group received from the ghost of the androsphinx Ujaset while traveling to the Anauroch. He carries a +1 cold iron rapier (a gift from Garth Battlehammer) and a +1 hand crossbow.
Rylfal has the soul of a scholar (which is one of the reasons he also venerates Oghma and intensely dislikes any interruptions to his studies. He also has some talent at singing.
He can be grim and humorless at times, but this is usually caused by his yochlol pact-partner tugging on the eldritch string uniting them. It happens at least once a month, usually around the thirteenth. During the Silence of Lolth, the tug ceased, and he thought he might have been freed. After Lolth returned, however, the tug resumed.
Rylfal Xiluin was born of a minor drow house in Ched Nasad, the son of a wizard and a priestess. Thanks to a distant ancestor, however, he was bound by blood-oath to a yochlol, granting him the powers of a warlock. He also had an innate gift for arcane magic, one for which normal study was of little use.
As an adult, he found himself wandering, and finding the constant one-upmanship of drow culture confining when he only wished to study his powers. He also felt the Lolthian doctrines to be distasteful. After an argument with a Lolthian woman he had been courting, he decided Ched Nasad was not for him and left the city (though not before killing a low-ranking priestess in self-defense).
He traveled the Underdark for several years, making his money as a charm peddler (usually magic items pilfered from other areas of the Underdark). In the Year of the Green Wings, a wrong turn brought him to the surface near Cormanthor. Traveling by night, he encountered a coven of Eilistraens, and soon converted to the Dark Maiden's worship.
By the Year of the Starfall, Rylfal had been traveling the surface for so long that sunlight no longer affected him. He still kept himself cloaked, but now it was to avoid detection rather than the sun. He made several study trips to Candlekeep and other repositories of knowledge, but then the Demonweb Pits' inhabitants began to make attempts on his life, trying to force him back to Lolth or kill him. After barely escaping a glabrezu, he decided he might be safer in a crowd. He ended up in Scornubel, where he made his living guarding caravans.
That was how he met Garth Battlehammer and his bodyguards Faernethue Vrinn and Tetcaz Torunn. He hired on as an extra pair of magical hands -- partly out of curiosity about the drow priestess who didn't appear to worship Lolth or Eilistraee -- but after the caravan was attacked by small party of low-grade demons he was forced to reveal his eldritch powers. But to his surprise, Vrinn forgave him for hiding his true nature from them.
Rylfal Xiluin: Male drow sorcerer 3/warlock 4; CR 9; Medium humanoid (elf); HD 3d4+4d6+7; hp 31; Init +2; Spd 30 ft; AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15; Base Atk +4; Grp +6; Atk +7 melee (1d6+3/18-20, +1 cold iron rapier) or +6 ranged (1d4+2/19-20, +1 hand crossbow) or +6 ranged touch; SA detect magic, eldritch blast +2d6, invocations, spells; SQ damage reduction 1/cold iron, drow traits, spell-like abilities; AL CN; SV Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +7; Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 23.
Skills and Feats: Bluff +13, Concentration +11, Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Knowledge (the planes) +12, Listen +3, Search +6, Sense Motive +7, Spellcraft +12, Spot +3, Use Magic Device +14; Ability Focus (eldritch blast), Daylight Adaptation, Master of Shadows.
- Detect Magic (Sp): Rylfal can cast detect magic as the spell at will. His caster level equals his warlock] level.
- Eldritch Blast (Sp): At will as a standard action, Rylfal can fire a blast of pure eldritch energy to deal 2d6 damage. This is a ray with a maximum range of 60 ft. Rylfal must succeed at a ranged touch attack. Effective spell level 2nd; save DC +2.
Major Possessions: +1 cold iron rapier, +1 hand crossbow, 10 bolts, elven chain, Heward's handy haversack, ring of enduring arcana, potion of cure light wounds (10), scroll of ray of frost (1), scroll of burning hands (1). 6,756 gp, 3 sp, 8 cp.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan (May 2007). Drow of the Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 38–39. ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3.
- ↑ Eckelberry, David (2001). One Last Riddle (PDF). Free Original Adventures. Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved on December 5, 2009.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 303. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 37. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan (May 2007). Drow of the Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 51. ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Richard Baker (November 2004). Complete Arcane. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 7. ISBN 0-7869-3435-2.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan (May 2007). Drow of the Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 61. ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Skip Williams (February 2006). Complete Mage. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 126. ISBN 0-7869-3937-0.