Well met, SunderedShor. Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Wiki! Thank you for your recent edit. We hope to see more great edits!
The FR Wiki aims to be a valuable resource for all Realms fans, players, and DMs. As you edit, please keep in mind these five important rules:
- Use only official sources—no homebrew!
- Do not copy text from these sources; use your own words.
- Write everything in narrative tense (past tense), just like any novel.
- Add citations for any statements that you make—at least one per paragraph.
- Avoid using the Visual Editor; use the Source Editor instead.
In case you need some help, here are some quick guides:
We hope that you enjoy editing here. Again, welcome! Happy scribing!
P.S.: Please sign your messages on Talk and Forum pages using four tildes (~~~~) to automatically add your name and the date.
Thank you for your recent contributions to the wiki. Please take a look at the corrections and fixes that I made after your work. You are apparently cutting and pasting the URLs and text of citations on the wiki, and this is not the way to do it. Please, use the Source editor and not the Visual editor. It is so much easier to deal with templates like citations in Source mode. Take a look at Help:Citing sources for the basic info on how to enter them properly. The auto-suggest will present choices as you type a citation, so just keep typing until you see the one you want, then select it from the menu.
Also, please break up your citations to just one or two page numbers. Citing "pp. 19, 31-32, 54-55" may be complete and accurate, but it is burdensome on the reader that wants to find a particular piece of lore. Citations should ideally only reference one or two pages, or a small range if the reference overlaps page boundaries. You don't have to put a citation on every sentence, just when the reference changes in the flow of the text. The minimum should be one citation per paragraph.
Please slow down and learn the way the wiki works. Make sure everything is written in your own words. Some of your phrasing was too similar to the source material and we must respect the copyrights of the publishers. Thank you for your efforts in this matter. It will save others from having to spend their time adjusting what you enter. Feel free to ask any of the admins or regular editors questions if you need help. —Moviesign (talk) 02:37, April 11, 2020 (UTC)
Howdy SunderedShor and welcome to the wiki! I hope you're enjoying editing here - I for one have enjoyed reading your contributions so far.
I do want to point out a few edits I made to the ixitxachitl article. You can see the differences here. As Movie said, some of the verbage is a bit too close to the source material. If you have any questions you can respond here on your talk page! Just end your response with ~~~~ to leave your signature. Have fun and enjoy your editing! :D Ruf (talk) 02:05, April 12, 2020 (UTC)
Please help us avoid wiki bloat by not adding things for which there is no realms connection. Your recent edit to Shadow magic included three organizations that have no Realms connection that I can find, and the creature khayal also is not found in the Realms anywhere I could see (the ephemeral hangman is okay, but needs to be lower-case in the link). If you find a Realms connection, by all means add the info with the proper citation, but please keep in mind the scope of this wiki. There are other D&D wikis that cover those topics and would welcome your input. —Moviesign (talk) 16:10, April 13, 2020 (UTC)
- SunderedShor (talk) 17:07, April 13, 2020 (UTC)
- I hope that I am responding to this in the correct manner - apologies Moviesign, I have removed the three organizations that I added and could have sworn that the goddess Shax was part of Realmslore. As for the Khayal, their page had already existed on the Wiki so I didn't think it was a stretch to have them included on that list of Shadow Monsters.
- You're doing great :) Thanks for fixing up Shadow magic. As for khayal, sometimes things slip through the cracks, or have just been around so long that they don't get looked at very often. We generally delete stub articles that are about non-Realms topics, but if it's a good article we might mark it unrelated and let it stay. On the other hand, we don't want to mislead people as to what is Realmslore and what is not, so we try to keep articles within scope. There's plenty of material on the Realms, and this is a hobby, so we'd rather spend our time adding, fixing, and maintaining what we feel is important. —Moviesign (talk) 18:58, April 13, 2020 (UTC)
Link Formatting Edit
Hello SunderedShor! In case you are interested, I have a small tip about linking plurals: I have seen you change links like "[[fireball]]s" to "[[fireball|fireballs]]". There is no need for that, because both will link to fireball perfectly fine, and the "[[fireball|fireballs]]" version is just unnecessarily longer. It's possible that that is a problem with the editor your are using. Happy scribing! Daranios (talk) 07:52, April 19, 2020 (UTC)
Sorry for the intrusion, in doing new NPC living in the Maelstrom you had used the wrong category, the correct one was "Inhabitants of Maelstrom"
Standard section headings Edit
Hello there. I have noticed that you have been changing the section headings in a few creature articles from "Ecology" to "Physiology". Before continuing to do so, please check this forum thread on standard sectioning. Although it is not mandatory, it makes for a more uniform wiki experience to have all articles have similar structures and section titles, so readers can more easily navigate between articles and easily find the section they need. ― Sirwhiteout (talk) 17:21, April 30, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, welcome to the wiki. Please see my formatting changes for the Ogre article. Appearances are supposed to be listed in order of publication. Adventures and "Organized Play & Licensed Adventures" are distinct categories. Section headings should be sorted in descending order of canonicity. See here for a quick overview. --Ir'revrykal (talk) 15:47, May 4, 2020 (UTC)
Arms and EquipmentEdit
Hey there! I really like that you are uploading pictures of equipment from the Arms and Equipment Guide; the images make the articles so much better! It would be amazing to replace some of the real-world images (say, of weapons) with those from D&D material. Good luck with your projects, and thanks for your contributions to the wiki. ~ Possessed Priest (talk) 01:55, May 21, 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks for the kind words Possessed :D there are still a couple of images that I have not ripped from the guide just yet, such as: Arrows, Bows (short and long), Belaying pins, Blowguns, Bolas, Crossbows, Flails, Harpoons, Tridents, Whips, and so many variations of axes and swords. Plus horse armor, though I don't currently know if there are any Realms-specific sourcebooks which talk about that so I will need to look into it. SunderedShor (talk) 02:09, May 21, 2020 (UTC)
Organized Play & Licensed Adventures Edit
Hey, I've noticed you've been sorting all adventure appearances under "Organized Play & Licensed Adventures". This is incorrect. That header is for adventures from organized play programs and adventures written under license (i.e. not by Wizards, just approved by them). These works fall on a lower tier of canon according to our policies, hence why we keep them separated. --Ir'revrykal (talk) 09:39, May 25, 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you for the clarification. I will make sure to place things under the right section next time. Though I must say that the process of even adding a single Appearance is seemingly increasingly arduous, having to cross reference every single other Appearance in order to try and decipher where it needs to be placed along a horizontal axis. SunderedShor (talk) 15:31, May 27, 2020 (UTC)
Greetings! I have been empowered to invite you to the Forgotten Realms Wiki Slack community, an informal chat group of FRW admins and regular editors. If you are interested, please fill out https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfoVCqUNSPCKTp77IxhwMDyIQ4UGVoB1AP0MM15agNUZsU94Q/viewform and leave your email address so that I can send you an invite. Your email address will not be shared with anyone except Slack. There are no fabulous benefits for joining, and certainly no penalties for declining, we just talk now and then. Hope to see you soon! :) —Moviesign (talk) 19:52, June 5, 2020 (UTC)
Creatures Found on Foo Edit
- We do not make category pages for Creatures found in/on Foo if Foo is a location on Toril. We stop at Creatures found in/on a world. This was decided before your time. The idea was that it was an unmanageable task to deal with. Please see Forum:Creatures_Found_in/on_Foo.
- Even if we all change our mind on this, water animals cannot be found on a body of ice. We would have to create both a Creatures found in Foo and Creatures found on Foo set of categories for that. There is a special way of setting up the category jump for that.