For aeons, folk have struggled to master the world of Toril through the use of magic. The human race has stolen what magical knowledge it can from the elves and other races, gained more through worship, and created the rest by building on the work of those who have gone before. For centuries, human wizards have experimented with new spells and variations on existing magic, striving to grow ever more powerful. They have succeeded to an astonishing degree, but through the death of secretive mages and the destruction of realms and entire peoples, much of the lore they built has been lost, hidden, or distorted. To pierce this heavy cloak of missing knowledge, cryptic sorcerous codes, and misinformation requires a writer of rare daring, persistence, and magical skill. Such a man is Volothamp Geddarm, famous traveler of the Realms – and this is his most important, long-suppressed work, the book that archwizards could not keep from your hands!
Read this 128-page tome, and learn:
- How mages gain special powers for themselves – including the awesome ability known as spellfire.
- How items may be enchanted to fire forth magic once, twice, or whenever called upon.
- The best materials from which to construct magical items.
- Powerful spells that have hitherto been the secrets of the most puissant archmages.
- Details of many of the fell, awesome artifacts of the Realms know to exist.
- Lore about teleportation, magical wards, guardian spells, and sites of power.
- Much, much more that most wizards would have liked to remain hidden from the eyes of their rivals—and common folk not skilled in magic—forever!
Suitable for all levels of play.SPECIAL NOTE: This edition of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, intended for travelers from beyond the borders of Faerûn, has been heavily rewritten and contains game notes and commentary by the famous sage and archmage Elminster of Shadowdale.
Index[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Andratha • Angelar • Annath • Arsten Thunderstaff • Artus Cimber • Baerom Thunderstaff I • Black Lotus • Crossar • Darthin • Dhalmass Rayburton • Halaster Blackcloak • Harladryn • Illitran Starym • Laeral Silverhand • Larloch • Latheebree • Marcus Wands • Mhzentul • Angelar • Nhyris D'Hothek • Savras • Syluné Silverhand • Seldanna • Scourge • Tessaril Winter • Thakorsil • Ultham • Venali Starym • Volothamp Geddarm • Yoond Shalshymmyr • Zulae
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Magic[edit | edit source]
- Beacon of Light • Blood of Lathander • Chessmen of Ultham-Urre • Crenshinibon • Crown of Horns • Cyrinishad • Dawnstone • Death Moon Orb • Dragonking's Eye • Gatekeeper's Crystal • Guardian's Tear • Iron Helm of Heroes • Living Gem • Ring of Winter • Scepter of Savras • Shond Tharovin • Starym moonblade • Thakorsil's Seat • Tear of Selûne • Windwalker Amulet • Wyvern Crown of Cormyr • Yuthla the Eye of Beholder • Zeladazar the Ghost Sword
- Andratha's wand of battle • Annath's draft • flame elixir • great elixir • greenstone amulet • Halaster's quaff • Helm of Zulae • Latheebree's Folio of Reversal • Latheebree's Pantograph Pages • Luck Medallion of Tymora • mace of reaving • ring of burning • ring of coldfire • ring of night • ring of scribes • ring of stone • Ring of the Tshala • ring of wayfaring • Seven Lost Rings of Mhzentul • thunderstaff • weirdstone • Wonderful Throne • zarangan
- Latheebree's Folio of Reversal • Lathebree's Pantograph Pages • Mhzentul's Runes • To Master Cold
- abeyance • arrow swarm • awakening • Azundel's purification • Blaenther's bowls • blood link • blueshine • crown meld • dimensional thrust • dragonshape • dweomer divination • dweomerflow • eternal flame • Flamsterd's flamestrike • focal stone • hailcone • higher consecration • holy might • holy vesting • insulation • lightning bug • lightning reflection • lightning ring • lightning rod • lightning snake • lightning storm • mass teleport • Merald's meld • moonfire • nautical ball lightning • Obar's lesser purification • permanency prayer • ritual of transference • ritual of twin burnings • sacrosanct • sash of spells • teleport fireball • teleport object • tempestcone • thunderlance • Veladar's vambrace • Waethra's warm welcome • wandering glyphs • wandering symbol • wardmist • web of lightning • web of ways • wondrous web
Appendix[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|The New Adventures of Volo • Volo's Guide • Volo's Guide to Waterdeep • Volo's Guide to the North • Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast • Volo's Guide to Cormyr • Volo's Guide to the Dalelands • Volo's Guide to All Things Magical • Volo's Guide to BALDUR'S GATE II • Volo's Guide to Monsters|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.