The Winding River was the longest and wildest river of the Old Empires region. It was found in eastern Chessenta and in northwestern Unther. After the Spellplague of 1385 DR, it became part of Tymanther, until the Untherans were able to recover the northern part of their former nation after the Second Sundering of 1487 DR.
The Winding River was in the Adder Peaks and ran across all of Chessenta and part of Unther until it flowed into the Methmere. The river was dangerous and treacherous, and even expert and veteran sailors thought twice before navigating its waters.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Scott Bennie (February 1990). Old Empires. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 40. ISBN 978-0880388214.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Scott Bennie (February 1990). Old Empires. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 52. ISBN 978-0880388214.
- ↑ Brian R. James (May 2010). “Backdrop: Chessenta”. In Chris Youngs ed. Dungeon #178 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 72.
- ↑ Map included in Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- ↑ Rich Baker (December 2007). “Countdown to the Realms: Year of the Ageless One”. Dragon #362 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 5.
- ↑ Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 13–14. ISBN 978-0786965809.