A wraith was an undead creature born of evil and darkness, despising light and all living things. They could drain the life from living creatures, turning them into new wraiths upon death. Wraiths were powerless in natural sunlight, appearing as a sinister, spectral figure robed in darkness. They had no visual features or appendages, except for their glowing red eyes.
Like many undead, wraiths possessed a chilling touch. However, these beings were most similar in nature to the undead known as wights. Both could drain creatures of their life energy and could only be harmed by either silver or enchanted weaponry.
- Moon Wraiths
- a crescent-shaped wraith that arose from lycanthropes who had died while in the midst of transforming. They used hit-and-run tactics, flying through their enemies in a crescent arc as often as they could. They were more powerful when under the light of the moon or stars.
- Wisp Wraiths
- a type of wraith that resulted from humanoids killed by a wraith failing to form correctly into a true wraith. These were weaker than other types of wraith. They typically crowded around their opponents, using their necrotic powers to slow them down.
Though they could be found on the Prime Material plane, wraiths were far more prominent in the Negative Energy plane. They were typically encountered in places that were dark and gloomy, away from the debilitating rays of the sun. Beyond that, they could be found in the Domains of Dread.
- Desert of Desolation
- City of the Spider Queen
- Curse of Strahd
- House of Cards
- Nightmare Keep
- Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
- The Rise of Tiamat
- The Twilight Tomb
- Card Games
- Video Games
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
- Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
- Dungeon Hack
- Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
- Icewind Dale
- Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
- Pool of Radiance
- Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
- Pools of Darkness
- Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace
- Treasures of the Savage Frontier
- Tom Moldvay (October 1993). “Beyond the Grave”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #198 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 20–29;39.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 258. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 302. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 266. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 257–258. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 365. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 102. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Monte Cook and William W. Connors (December 7, 1998). The Inner Planes. Edited by Michele Carter and Ray Vallese. (TSR, Inc.), p. 66. ISBN 0-7869-0736-3.
- Jean Rabe (1991). Red Magic. (TSR, Inc.), p. 231. ISBN 1-5607-6118-0.
- Matt Sernett, Erik Scott de Bie, Ari Marmell (August 2011). Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Edited by Tanis O'Connor. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 12. ISBN 0-7869-5814-6.
- Matt Sernett, Erik Scott de Bie, Ari Marmell (August 2011). Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Edited by Tanis O'Connor. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 113. ISBN 0-7869-5814-6.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Eytan Bernstein, Brian R. James (January 2009). Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 193. ISBN 0786950692.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Eytan Bernstein, Brian R. James (January 2009). Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 192. ISBN 0786950692.
- William W. Connors (1996). Monstrous Compendium - Ravenloft Appendices I & II. (TSR, Inc.), p. 70. ISBN 0786903929.
- Kirk Botulla, Shane Hensley, Nicky Rea, Teeuwynn Woodruff (1994). Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix III: Creatures of Darkness. Edited by William W. Connors. (TSR, Inc.), p. 8. ISBN 1-56076-914-9.
- Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 32. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- Eric L. Boyd (1998). Demihuman Deities. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 24. ISBN 0-7869-1239-1.
- Eric L. Boyd (1997). Powers and Pantheons. (TSR, Inc), p. 81. ISBN 0-7869-0657-X.
- Vince Garcia (July 1989). “Variety, the Spice of Magic”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #147 (TSR, Inc.), p. 25.
- Christopher Perkins, Adam Lee, Richard Whitters (September 1, 2015). Out of the Abyss. Edited by Jeremy Crawford. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 37–38. ISBN 978-0-7869-6581-6.
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|