Zhudun, also known as the Corpse Star, was a star-like Elder Evil from the Far Realm who had taken a place among stars of Realmspace. Unlike normal stars, Zhudun didn't have a fixed place in the sky but instead danced and wavered across Realmspace.
Zhudun was described as a "corpse star with a blank face".
Zhudun was usually sought out by some warlocks to make a pact with it. Neogi were specially adept to seek out pacts with it and the other Far Realm-infested stars. Zhudun bestowed those warlocks the ability to use the prophecy of Zhudun spell.
Sometime in the late 15th century DR, a vestige of Zhudun's power had found its way into the domain of Barovia in the Shadowfell, where it offered pacts with creatures who approached it. To those few Zhudun granted its magic, it bestowed the gift to raise the ancient dead, giving them the ability to use the resurrection spell, that always worked regardless of how long a creature had been dead. Even non-warlocks could be granted this ability from the star, though they could use Zhundun's powers just once. Those who were granted the gifts of Zhudun had their appearance changed, turning corpse-like and easily mistaken as undead.
- Curse of Strahd (mentioned)
- Christopher Perkins, Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman (March 2016). Curse of Strahd. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 196. ISBN 978-0-7869-6598-4.
- Mike Mearls, et al. (November 2016). Volo's Guide to Monsters. Edited by Jeremy Crawford, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 179. ISBN 978-0786966011.
- Bruce R. Cordell (2009). City of Torment. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 184. ISBN 978-07869-5184-0.
- Bruce R. Cordell (August 2008). “Wish Upon a Star”. In Chris Youngs ed. Dragon #366 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 18, 21.
Comets: K'Thoutek • King-Killer Star
Nebulae: Galleon Nebula • Color Spray Nebula
Far Realm-infested stars: Acamar • Caiphon • Delban • Gibbeth • Hadar • Khirad • Nihal • Zhudun
Other astronomical bodies: Caer Windlauer • Skull of the Void • Sargassos