A zombie was an undead creature usually created by the re-animation of a corpse. Unlike animated skeletons, zombies still retained some flesh on their bodies and gave off a horrid, rank smell. They were almost mindless, but could be given simple commands, such as "kill anyone who opens the treasure chest." Virtually any solid creature could be turned into a zombie; in addition to humanoids, troglodytes, minotaurs, ogres, and even beholders could be turned into zombies.
Basically, a zombie was the corpse of a creature that had been animated by someone who could manipulate negative energy, such as a cleric. For example, a cleric would be able to use negative energy on a corpse and make it move its body, arms, legs, etc. Zombies could also rise spontaneously if an area was saturated with necromantic magic.
Zombies dragged their feet and so did not leave clear prints.
- Ankylosaurus zombie
- A zombie created from the corpse of an ankylosaurus, typical to the jungles of Chult.
- Ash zombie
- A zombie created from ash of the victims of the Mount Hotenow explosion. Usually Thayan magic in the creation.
- Beholder zombie
- Sometimes called Death tyrants; zombified beholders which possessed some of their deadly abilities.
- Girallon zombie
- Crated from the corpse of a girallon, typical to some locations in Chult.
- Undead hounds found in Shadowfell and sometimes used by Thayan necromancers.
- Juju zombie
- Free-willed, sentient zombies often created from powerful curses or other fell magics.
- Ogre zombie
- Powerful zombies created from dead ogres.
- Sea zombie
- Created from the corpses of humans who drowned at sea.
- Tyrannosaurus zombie
- Created from the corpse of a tyrannosaurus, typical to Chult. These fearsome creatures could regurgitate zombies from their gullets.
- Tyrantfog zombie
- Priests of evil deities killed by other evil deities.
- Zombie dragon
- Created from dragons and retained some of their deadly abilities. Not to be confused with dracoliches.
- Dungeon #17: "The Waiting Room of Yen-Wang-Yeh" • Dungeon #21: "Jammin'" • Treasure Hunt • Dungeon #29: "Nymph's Reward" • The Sword of the Dales • The Secret of Spiderhaunt • Hellgate Keep • The Accursed Tower • Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor • City of the Spider Queen • Sons of Gruumsh • The Twilight Tomb • Scourge of the Sword Coast • The Rise of Tiamat • Curse of Strahd • Tomb of Annihilation • Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
- Canticle • Red Magic • The Ring of Winter • The Chaos Curse • The Paladins • Baldur's Gate • Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor • Windwalker • Annihilation • Storm of the Dead • Neverwinter • Charon's Claw • Night of the Hunter
- Referenced only
- The Crimson Gold
- Video Games
- Pool of Radiance • Eye of the Beholder • Gateway to the Savage Frontier • Pools of Darkness • Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace • Treasures of the Savage Frontier • Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession • Blood & Magic • Descent to Undermountain • Baldur's Gate series (Baldur's Gate • Shadows of Amn • Siege of Dragonspear • Baldur's Gate III) • Icewind Dale • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance • Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor • Neverwinter Nights series (Neverwinter Nights • Shadows of Undrentide • Neverwinter Nights 2 • Mysteries of Westgate • Darkness over Daggerford) • Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder • Neverwinter • Sword Coast Legends • Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation • Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
- Board Games
- Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath • Tomb of Annihilation • Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Begins
- Card Games
- Organized Play & Licensed Adventures
- Defiance in Phlan • Harried in Hillsfar
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the following links do not necessarily represent the views of the editors of this wiki, nor does any lore presented necessarily adhere to established canon.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 315–316. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 274–275. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 265–267. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), pp. 373–374. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 103. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Ossian Studios (August 2019). Designed by Luke Scull. Neverwinter Nights: Tyrants of the Moonsea. Beamdog.
- R.A. Salvatore (February 2002). Canticle. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 221. ISBN 0-7869-1604-4.
- Ossian Studios (June 2018). Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford. Beamdog.
- Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, Steve Winter (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. Edited by Michele Carter, Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 240–241. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.
- R.A. Salvatore (July 2012). Neverwinter. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-6027-2.
- Neverwinter (MMO)
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 309–310. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Erik Scott de Bie (2011). Gates of Neverdeath. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 11.
- Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck, Sean K. Reynolds (May 2003). Unapproachable East. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 66–67. ISBN 0-7869-2881-6.
- James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 85. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- Andy Collins, James Wyatt, and Skip Williams (November 2003). Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 197–198. ISBN 0-7869-2884-0.